Chapter 13

My hands were bonded, and I was trying to get as much air in my lungs as I could.

You have to do it. Do it for Ray. Do it for your Dad. More importantly, do it for yourself.

I thought, while Carter babbled about how easy it was. I don't know how I did it, but I managed to get to the deep end on the water, and I saw Donald throw in the silver watch.

"Go!" I looked up at the heavens and took a deep breath, then went under.

Water gushed in my ears, making everything sound weird. I opened my eyes and saw the watch going further and further away from me. I kicked my legs and did the dolphin kick until I was almost even with the ground.

But my lungs began to complain. I turned around and tried to reach for the watch with my hands and missed.

By this time, my lungs began to sign their will. I tired again.

Nope.

I forced my lungs to work over-time, but they were already folding up on themselves. In one last desperate effort I tried to reach for the watch and felt the cold metal against my palm. I almost blacked out, but I kicked with all my might until I felt the cold wind blow against my cheeks.

I gasped, sucking in all the breaths I could back into my lungs. With the rest of the energy I had left I swam back towards the beach, were Brad and Frank were there, waiting for me with outstretched arms.

I collapsed into their arms, my hands still wrapped tightly around the watch. Brad carried me to the beach and sat me down in a chair, and Amanda wrapped me up in towels.

"Twenty two seconds! Holy shit! Natalie Marks..." Donald Logan kept on talking, but I zoned out.

I got so close to seeing my dad again.

Ashton ran over to my side and pulled me up to him, and I began to weep. I let it all out. My confusion, my panic, my pain, it all washed out of my body through my tears. Carter was kissing my head, Donald was still going on about how awesome I did, and Ashton was comforting me.

But I only wanted one person right now.

I wanted my brother, Ray.

"Natalie, that was amazing. You're in the top two." Ashton informed me, his brown eyes rimmed with tears. I sniffed.

"Who else?" Ashton's eyes flickered over to Carter, and Carter was clenching his jaw.

"You're going against me."