Chapter III: Departure Day

Buzz, buzz. Buzz, buzz.

"Huh?"

Ash rolled over in his bed. "Oh, jeez. Shut up, alarm clock." He blindly smacked the thing off of the table by swinging his arm around, and flipped the pillow on top of his head.

"Today is the day I can't go." He angrily huffed from under his pillow. "And I don't even know why."

"Ash, come get your breakfast, honey. You're un-grounded." His mother opened the door and said, much, much more calmly than her manners from the previous night. She giggled and tried to tickle his back. "Come on, sleepy head!"

When the boy didn't move, she sat on the side of the bed and patted his back. "Hon', we need to have a talk. Meet me downstairs, okay?"

She left the room quietly as to not disturb him.

"Ugh." The messy haired boy sat up, scratching his head. "Rough sleep."

He lazily got up and dressed, hat on head and ready for breakfast.

"Ash? I made you some oatmeal!"

"Alright." He stumbled down the stairs and sat himself at the kitchen table.

"Ashy, I wanted to talk to you about yesterday."

"..."

"I'm sorry, okay? It seemed harsh of me to kick Gary out, but it's only because I love you."

"..."

"You see, I had a chat with Professor Oak the other day, and he explained to me that Gary opened up to him and asked him for some advice..."

"... Look, I'm just trying to eat my oatme-"

"Hon', your friend Gary... I'm afraid he doesn't swing the same way you do, you know? They way that he blushed at you last night... Well, he's different."

"Who cares? We're all different."

"Well... Let me just say... I don't want you going on your little expedition with him."

Ash thought for a minute. He didn't really know what his mother really had against Gary, but it was unfair, nevertheless.

"Well, em, actually... Professor Oak said that...... that he felt the same way about the situation, and now Misty is going instead of Gary. So no worries, right?"

The woman didn't seem convinced. "Hmmm... If you're sure. I just don't want that boy changing you."

"Well I don't see how he could change me. I mean, I haven't changed yet, have I?"

"I suppose so. Okay, pack your things up, then, and meet the Professor in his lab."

o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o

o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o

"I'm so glad you two could make it. Out of all the trainers I've met, you two have been the most dedicated to your respective fields." Professor Oak gestured to his grandson. "Gary, your research on Pokémon genetics, and your skill at battling as well..." He gestured to Ash this time. "... And Ash, the Pokémon champion of many regions!"

Gary rolled his eyes. "Alright, alright."

"A-hem. Anyway, I want you two to travel to Snowpoint City in Sinnoh to research more on ice-type Pokémon. I only want you to take one Pokémon on your trip each, so that you can use your other five slots to study them. Specifically pay attention to the way that they were formed. I'm trying to draw a connection between the uniqueness of snowflakes and ice-types. Okay?"