Chapter VII: Confessions

Ring, ring, ring...

The ravenette simply rolled over while the other practically jumped out of bed to silence the call. He answered the phone, swiftly plugging his headphones into the system afterward.

"He-"

"Shhh!" He shushed, pointing to his sleeping friend.

"I just wanted to tell you that we're not going anywhere for quite a bit today. There's supposedly some kinda' big storm rollin' in." The physicist rolled her eyes. "... even though those crazy weather forecasters can't seem to get it right... Your grandfather advises me to still keep you guys inside between the hours of 10am to 1pm. Just letting you kn-"

"Hey, can you pick up some things for me?" He interrupted, switching the call to his Pokétch and taking it to the kitchen. "Just a couple of things... Real quick? It's important."

Amaya crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow. "Yeah? Well you're lucky I have ole Rusty here, or else I wouldn't agree to this."

The brunette whispered into the phone what items to pick up, just to make sure his counterpart couldn't hear if he were awake. The twenty four year old squealed with glee, which hurt Gary's ears through the headphones. "That's the cutest thing I've ever heard, Gary!" She exclaimed, clapping her hands giddily.

He yanked a headphone out. "Chill out, will ya? It's a surprise!"

She nodded and ended the call, darting out her door and into the Poké Mart, grabbing the few items from the shelves (and almost forgetting to pay), before strapping herself onto the Mamoswine and slapping its backside yelling "Giddy up, damn it!"

Gary sighed and got out a pen and paper, planning some poetic words in wait.

Sometimes in winter...

o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o

o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o

"Rise and shine, sleepy head..." Gary stroked the black wisps out of his sleeping friend's face.

"H-Huh? Gary?" The ravenette's eyes fluttered open. After regaining consciousness, he blushed when noticing how close the brunette's face was to his.

"I have something to show you." He said, hands politely behind his back. "But you have to close your eyes."

"Okay... Waa!" The boy was suddenly yanked out of bed, and out of the room as well, into the kitchen, and shoved down into a chair.

"Open your eyes!"

Ash nearly choked when he saw what was in front of him. A full buffet of breakfast food? Why would he go through all of this trouble?!

"Oh my- Gary, you made this? Th-Thank you so much, I lo-"

"Just shut up and eat!" The researcher laughed, roughing up Ash's hair and slapping his hat down on top.

"Don't you want any-"

"I already ate."

The seated boy, slightly frowning, shrugged and dug in. "Mmm! Thrsh erph rertherph grph!"

"Um... Okay?" The fully-dressed boy responded.

"I meant to say that it tastes really good. I think it's better than my mom makes!"

Gary froze. "Whoa... You really think so?" He knew how good just the tea that she made was. How was this better than her cooking?

"Yeah! 'Cause it was made by you!" The champion jumped up and messed up Gary's hair, causing them both to engage in a laughing fit.

It was then that Ash realized he didn't have a shirt on. He turned a little red. "Hehehh... I'm gonna go put some clothes on."

"You don't need any help, do you, Ashy-Boy?" Gary laughed, referencing yesterday's wardrobe episode.

Ash put his hand over the taller boy's face and shoved him back. "Shut up, you baby." He laughed, heading back to the bedroom.

As he got dressed, Ash wondered about the strange act Gary had been putting on. Is it just an act? Or is he just being super friendly? Did he just mature out of his little childhood rivalry? It's so weird... Going right from childhood rivals to best friends like this? Thinking about all of it made his head spin. I'm seriously worried about him...

"This sounds good, right?" He heard Gary whisper from the other room.

He cracked open the door a little, spotting Gary looking down at a paper and reciting something, over and over. Pikachu and Eevee seemed to nod in response at the words he spoke, though Ash couldn't seem to make out.

"Hey, Gary! Whatcha' doin'?!" The dense teen blurted out.

The brunette jumped. "Hey! Don't scare me like that, asshole!" He fiercely barked back, but regretted it after sensing the pain in Ash's eyes. "Okay... I'm sorry, that was harsh." He smiled awkwardly and scratched the back of his neck, leaning back on the counter that wasn't there and, in turn, tripping backward.

What is going on with him today?

"Uhh... Okay?" Ash rose an eyebrow.

"Hey! Let's go for a walk." Gary offered, shoving a sweatshirt on the poor clueless boy. It was only 9 o'clock, which meant that they had another hour before they had to be inside.

"Uhm, sure!" Ash agreed. "Come on, Pika-"

"Pika!" The yellow mouse shook its head.

"Vee!" Eevee apparently agreed with its electric companion.

"Um... Ooo-kay!"

The ravenette was dragged outside, where the two gazed at the beautiful scenery from the porch.

"Wow, it's snowing!" Ash giggled, a snowflake blown by the wind hitting his cheek.

Gary brushed the snowflake off with his finger. "Let's go," He smirked, only four inches between their faces.

Ash blushed. "Gary, you've been acting so weird lately. Are you okay? Are you on your period?"

"... Only girls get periods, genius." Gary smirked.

"Ah- I mean, I knew that. Ha-haaa..." The boy rose his shoulders and cringed at his own naiveté. "But seriously, what's been up?"

Gary took a step off of the porch and out into the snow. He extended a hand for Ash to take, which he did.

"Well, you see, Ash... Sometimes in Winter... I gaze into the streets and walk through snow and city sleet behind your room..."

"Huh?"

"Shut up! It's from a song!" Gary cleared his throat. "A-hem. Sometimes, in Winter, forgotten memories remember you behind the trees, with leaves that cry..."

"Haha, you're funny! Leaves don't cry!" Ash laughed, still too dense to get the message.

Gary, irritated and annoyed at this point, grabbed the childish boy by both shoulders. "God damn it, Ash! Don't you get it? I have feelings for you, alright? There, I said it."

I love you, Ash, you little squirt.

He stormed off in the other direction, back to the cabin. A single tear fell from his cheek. There, I said it, Ashy-Boy. Now you can go and tell your girlfriend Misty, or whatever her name is...