CHAPTER SIX - PHI (Edited)

PHI'S POV

It was almost twilight when Grannie mentioned the promised land. I glanced around and saw my own grandmother sitting on a rock nearby, and from the sparkle in her eyes, I knew she had been listening to the oldest fairy's story.

"You liked it?" I smiled as I reached her side.

"Phi," she said, extending her arm. "Be a good girl and help me home."

She avoided my question as she often did.

She doesn't want to give me false hope. Mother forbid that I desired to get out of our current situation. I looked at the depressing alley.

We took a few steps in the direction of the dull, stained wall, where our nest stood high, but were interrupted by the Queen of Complaints.

"The king has had a vision," she called.

As she finished speaking those words, the king's unmistakable shadow approached the crowd and reflected on the back wall. He climbed onto a large rock and looked down at us, his people. His stood as tall as possible, his hands on his hips.

The moonlight shone directly onto his face, enlightening the innumerable sigils and runes that covered his body, including the moon crescent on his forehead. The mark of the fairies. His face was chiseled, had dark, wavy hair and wore a headdress made of twigs, leaves and feathers. I had no doubt he had been quite handsome in the past, but he now looked pale and his clothes hung poorly on his gaunt figure.

For an instant, I thought his eyes met mine. He grinned. I had never seen him smile so wide. And it seemed sincere. Usually, he was a bit off, as if he was carrying the world's pain on his shoulders but was trying not to show it.

"My people," he said in a solemn voice but still smiling. "We are forgotten creatures and soon risk disappearing in the mists of time if something does not change." No one spoke. I could not even hear a whisper. "But you must have faith. All this will change. With the power of last night's moon, I invoked a vision. I saw that tomorrow, old friends will visit our community. They are coming to talk to us about a way to end our misery."

Could it be true? I'd all but given up spreading my wings.