CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT -- PHI (Edited)

PHI'S POV

"No, I didn't know," I said as my knees weakened. "Agamet is your father?"

Eskain had told me Feyn was living with his mother among the humans because he did not get along with his father. I should have understood it sooner. I should have made the connection.

A part of me didn't want it to be true. And it forced me to stop asking questions.

"Leave here," Feyn said. "Come with me. I will protect you."

Tears flooded my eyes. Why is my luck so bad?

"It's not only about me," I replied. "I have to think of my people too. Agamet has warriors that follow him. I need the numbers. I have to marry your father, otherwise he won't help me."

His face distorted as if he was in pain, as if the words that came out of my mouth were hurting him.

I hate to see him like this, but this is the only solution.

I turned away and dried up my tears.

At that moment, the skin that covered the hut's entrance flipped open and Agamet slipped in.

For an instant I worried that he had heard what we were talking about but his face showed no sign of discontent. He was still rocked by the idea of our betrothal.

"I see you've met my son," the chief said.

My heart was pounding hard in my chest. I forced myself to look normal.

"Yes," I said. "We have actually briefly met before."

I glanced up at Feyn, pleading for him not to do anything stupid.

"Is that so?" Agamet asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes," Feyn replied. "We met once in the woods while I was hunting. The humans I was with feared her. They thought she was an evil spirit."

That made Agamet burst into laughter. "An evil spirit? This lovely creature? Those humans are really too superstitious for their own good."

He wrapped an arm around my waist. He meant to be affectionate, but I only stiffened at his touch.

Breathe. Breathe or he will notice something is wrong.

A moment of silence weighed between us. A flash of anger rose in Feyn's eyes as he looked at his father.

"I should say congratulations on your upcoming union," he said. "But will you keep your promise to help her or bail like you did last time?"

His tone was filled with wrath. And I was not the only one who noticed. The smile disappeared from Agamet's face and he began to fume.

It was clear that Feyn cared about me more than he should.

"I believe your presence is no longer wanted here, son," said Agamet, his lips in a line. "You should be on your way.

The chief pushed his son out of the hut and followed him out. Afraid for Feyn's well-being, I followed too.

"What's the matter?" Agamet said, seeing his son's refusal to go. "Don't want to go in the woods? Afraid of the dark?"

Feyn did not flinch at his father's mockery. "The woods were never a problem. It's the darkness of your soul I fear."

"Watch your mouth, boy!" Agamet roared.

But already, Feyn covered himself with his feathered blanket. Almost instantly, wings and a beak grew. He flapped his feathers with strength, creating whirlwinds all around him. The sound of his wings became the thunder, and every time he blinked, lightning appeared. He stormed away.