CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX --- PHI (Edited)

PHI'S POV

"Time flows differently in my father's land," I explained to Agamet one day. "When the leader crosses the shield, what seems like an hour can be seconds, minutes, or weeks."

I wanted to emphasize the hurry to take action against Wotan, so that my people would not suffer any longer.

Wotan is going to kill them one by one. How many had died already?

I didn't know how long it had been in the Hidden Land, but here, it had been nearly a month. A month since I'd been living among the First Creatures. A month of convincing and discussing, of kissing and seducing, and I was not any closer to saving my people.

"Do you know a thunder spirit called Feyn?" I asked Eskain, an old woman with teeth like those of a rodent.

Of all the people in the thunder spirits' village, she was the only one who was openly nice to me. And I spent most of my time with her unless Agamet asked me to sit with him during meals or other occasions. She reminded me a little of Grannie in that she, too, liked to tell stories.

"He lives with his mother in a human village," said the old woman replied. "Some thunder spirits, like his mother, prefer to live among non-magical folks."

This concept made little sense to me. "Why would Feyn prefer to live with humans than with people like him?"

"He and his father don't get along," explained another woman, eavesdropping on our conversation. "His father remains with us and Feyn lives with his mother. He only visits occasionally, to receive Yasik's blessing."

I was intrigued.

What was the disagreement all about anyway?

I kept myself from asking any more questions, however. I feared that the other woman would not appreciate me inquiring. I was an outsider and not yet trust-worthy to them. If I asked too many questions about Feyn, it would have raised their suspicions and reached Agamet's ears.

Agamet cannot know how I feel about Feyn. I might get busted, and then my plan will be destroyed.

The chief of the thunder spirits was only starting to give more values to my pleas. Although the value he gave to them was closely linked with the prospect of me sharing his bed. I reckoned that was the idea that seduced him—the fact I was an untouched runaway bride who came to him for safety.

The idea was driving me up the wall. I told him that I would only agree to that once he granted me my people's safety. Meanwhile, I still agreed to let him kiss me, touch me. That was what I needed to do to seduce him.

And as much as I wanted to see Feyn, it was perhaps better I didn't. It would make things much harder for me. How could I kiss Agamet with Feyn watching?

I needed to play the game until the chief of the thunder spirits fulfilled his part of the bargain.

"Bury the carcasses here," Eskain told me, pulling me out of my reverie.

She was pointing at the parts of rotten fish and eels I held in a basket. I obeyed and emptied the slimy mixture onto the soil.

I wanted to take my mind off Feyn and the horrifying prospect of sharing Agamet's bed. Talking about their way of life would get me less into trouble. Plus, learning the First Creatures' ways and taking part in them could only be beneficial. I wanted them to eventually consider me as one of their own if I were to marry their leader. And maybe if I adopted their culture they would be less against my people; they would not fear we were to overthrow their customs as much.