CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN -- HALIA (Edited)

HALIA'S POV

Phi's face was lightened by the flames flickering in the pit. I searched her eyes, but did not meet them. I was hoping that the idea of a marriage with me would spark something in her. A sign of relief, or joy perhaps.

Instead, she seemed worried.

"But if I marry the Evil King afterwards, even if I am not completely under his control, he will have a part of my powers—and I will have a part of his. He has dark powers. I don't want to become demonic."

"It doesn't matter where the power comes from," I said to appease her. "It's the way you use it that makes it good or evil."

I was embarrassed as soon as the words left my mouth. It was something Grannie had told us over and over again in her stories. It was something easy to say, and somewhat of a cliché. I just didn't know what else to tell her. I was still shocked we were even considering getting married. Not only was it rare that fairies of different kinds got married at all, but of the same gender? That was unthinkable. What will people say? The thought left my mouth dry.

Still, Phi gave me a smile. It was a sign she was no longer upset with me about the prophecy. She was once again hopeful that things would work out.

I took both of her hands in mine and held them tightly. The way she did to give me courage. "Let's do it," she said, finally. "Let's get married. I don't want to be a slave."

I felt a feeling of warmth going to my cheeks. I turned my head so she wouldn't see me blush.

"So, what does the spell say?" I asked to change the subject to what was more pressing. "We have to do this tonight, while the moon is still out."

"Just give me a moment," Domovoy said while looking through the chest. "We need something for the ceremony." He drew and tore a long piece of clothing. "This will be the ribbon," he finally declared, triumphant.

He then rushed to us and signalled us to position ourselves.

It's really happening. Totally not in the way I wanted, but still . . .

I was so nervous I felt numb all over, and my heart was beating so hard I could hear it in my ears.

I have to calm downfocus on the sensation of cold air on my skin, on the crackling sound of the fire.

The fire. Phi split it in two so we could enter in the pit and surround ourselves with flames. A part of the spell. I thought I would feel their heat on me, but only felt a slight tickling when they touched me. Above us was the gaping hole in the ceiling, our only opening to the starry night.

We began to dance, holding hands. Once again, like the times we danced under the moonlight, our bodies looked like two flowers opening up their petals. Moon flowers swayed by a gentle wind.

Phi smiled at me as Domovoy risked an arm across the fire to wrap the ribbon around our wrists.

"May this ribbon keep your body connected to mine," Phi said, bonding with the power of the runes. "May I always be able to feel what you feel."

"May this ribbon keep your body connected to mine," I repeated. "May I always be able to feel what you feel."

We then let the ribbon fall into the flames. Its ashes levitated and flew out the ceiling, as if there was no shield at all.

A non-living thing. It can come and go, like air. It's unaffected by boundaries.

It felt good that at least a part of us could run free. I looked at the dancing lights reflecting in Phi's eyes. She looked so beautiful I could hardly breathe.

"May the ashes of this ribbon be a sign of your union," said Domovoy. "Like your love for each other, the ashes of this ribbon will be in every breath we take, in our lives, as long as there is air on this earth."

"May my love for you keep your spirit connected to mine," said Phi. "May my powers always be bound to yours."

"May my love for you keep your spirit connected to mine," I repeated, my lips burning at the word love. "May my powers always be bound to yours."

"Your love is now forever bound," said Domovoy. "From now until the end of time. The brides may now kiss."

I knew this part would happen, but I had tried really hard to blank it out of my mind. Yet there was Phi, leaning towards me. A rush of warmth ran through my entire body. Phi's eyes, two dark hazels, were looking right through me.

She pressed her lips against mine. I felt as if my soul was exposed, helpless.

:\D{[dA