CHAPTER THIRTY -- PHI (Edited)

PHI'S POV

Frida's words did not make me feel any better. On the contrary, I felt even more pressure. Apart from being responsible for my people's future, all of the Evil King's mindless servants were all rooting for me to save them too.

Just great. All this and a marriage to an evil king?

I had little time to accept my fate. The door to my prison opened again, a prison bigger than the one I was about to step into. My own body. A prison I had no chance of getting out of.

Wotan's guards dragged me out to the great hall, where the ceremony—my funeral—was to be held.

Two of the guards escorted me down the aisle, to give me away. As if anyone, even my father, had the right to give me away. Tears filled my eyes. I could not see Wotan's face at the end of the room by his throne, facing me.

Frida and Halia had followed me out, and mixed into the crowd. Frida was pretending again that she was mindless, so well I could almost believe it myself; Halia pushed her way through the people, my people, to witness better my failure.

To my left, also witnessing, was Siegfried, our king, my father. He was hanging over us, in a cage. He had been beaten, his clothes torn to pieces, and was covered in his own blood. The blood from his severed hand.

Wotan was displaying him this way to remind me that I had to go through with the marriage, or that worse things would happen to my people. Things leading to their death.

I recognized the faces of some of our people in the crowd. Tönx, the green fairies, the merrows. Mrs. Merrow was pregnant, and held on to her prominent belly. Nixie, her husband Fossegrim, Aras, Ryn, Flora. Finally, at the very front of the crowd stood my grandmother. Her wings had been clipped, so that she would not try to fly. Something she had probably tried, to get such punishment. She looked more tired than usual. I could see she had been crying.

They all stood unnaturally straight, watchful not to bring any unwanted attention to them. If they did, the guards would beat them with their sticks and whips.

I walked passed Halia, her eyes, window to anybody's soul, were filled with strength. Once again, she was the brave one. Her lips were moving—she was reciting the protection spell we got from the Tisannieres' book.

I have to fight. I can't let him have me, not completely.

I began chanting the prayer to the moon with her, to double its effect. To strengthen our bond. That was all I could do now. I was not even sure if I could hope for the best.

We were married in the sunlight, light that reflected on me and my people through the vast hall's entrance doors. It was sunset. The death of the day, the death of my life as I knew it, my liberty.

"I now declare you husband and wife," recited one of the priests.

Wotan, a sly smirk on his face, leaned over to forcibly kiss me, sealing the deal. I cringed as his one eye came closer.

A vivid light entered through my mouth and emanated from my body. The Evil King was expecting to feel his powers grow but, instead, the emotion on his face changed from satisfaction to surprise as I still stood up to him and my wings changed color from gray to black.

Anger possessed my entire body. I lifted an arm and propelled him away until he hit the wall behind him.

"I will never be yours!" I heard myself say, my voice vibrating with anger.

Objects flew around. People dove to the floor and protected themselves as well as they could. I was scaring even myself. Halia ran to me.

"Phi, calm down!" she pleaded.

She touched my shoulder. Seeing her, I felt myself soften. But my pain was still there. My anger.

"This is not me," I told her, unable to control my tears any longer. "It's in my blood now. I will never be the same again."

Or perhaps I was finally myself. My people had been right all along. Since our times in the alley, they had seen right through me. I was selfish. I put myself before the others. I opened my wings and flew away through the open gates.

Now that I had the Evil King's powers in me, the shields could no longer contain me.