CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE - HALIA (Edited)

HALIA'S POV

Our prison was dark and humid, small and cramped. It was barely big enough for a person alone, yet now we were two.

Sometimes, we heard a bird sing, or saw one flying high above us in the gray sky through the hole in the roof. The only hole I could get water from when it rained. How little that was. My body was craving it; for a nymph that was not enough. I had to use my magic to call it in.

Many days went by before Domovoy entered the room, pushing the chest out of his way and telling us that now was our chance to get the grimoires.

"The king's gone out on a raid," he said, out of breath. "Only some of the thralls remain in the hall."

My heart jumped. Although we had planned a way to get the books, I was not expecting for the moment to come so fast. I was not sure if I was mentally ready just yet. I feared my courage would fail me.

"Let's do it now before the king comes back," Phi said, clapping her hands together.

It was now or never. Domovoy and I crawled out of the hole the creature had dug behind the chest while Phi stayed behind, being the only true prisoner in the room.

We crept around the side of the house. It was night and the moon was full and silver. I felt its light on my skin and, although it might've been an illusion, I felt braver. The little girl from the alley, quiet and self-effacing. I was far beyond Urach's cruel teases, and now I felt like nothing could bother me. Plus, there was nothing I couldn't do for Phi.

That was the only way she and I could have a chance at being happy together. If she ever feels for the same way I feel for her. . .

The surroundings were quiet. The thralls who hadn't accompanied the king on his journey were asleep or were ready to fall asleep. Still, we needed to be fast and so we sprinted to the great hall's front door and entered.

I hadn't been in yet, but Phi had told me about the grand, golden room. Its ceiling was so high and shiny it made my head spin.

A fire crackled at the middle of the space, and over thirty thralls stood or sat here and there across the hall. I tripped over a drinking bowl that lay on the floor. One of the thralls opened his eyes. They only mirrored the emptiness of his mind. I held my breath, careful not to make noise again, until he closed his eyes again and dozed off.

Domovoy gestured at the end of the hall where a high seat stood. He had explained earlier it was under that seat that the Evil King kept his objects of value and things he stole from his raids. "The grimoires will be there," he had said.

I tip-toed my way to the farthest side of the hall, trying to be as quiet as I could so that I would not attract the Evil King's attention through the sets of empty eyes. I was comforted that at least I looked like a servant.

Once by the chair, I glanced over at Domovoy who was keeping an eye out the open door for any sign of the priests or an unfamiliar move on the thralls' part. Everything was going as planned so far.

I pushed the chair aside and congratulated myself that the noise was rather reasonable. There was a trap on the floor, covered with pieces of hay that found their way under the throne. If I had been silent so far, opening the trap was another story. I pulled a metallic latch and a loud screeching sound filled the room. I held by breath as I lowered myself into the hole and lent an ear to see if there were any movement. Nothing.

Relieved, I began to search for the grimoires among the stacks of papers and objects. There were swords and armours, coins of gold and silver—which I could not help but tell myself were rather useless here. I mean, who could he trade those coins with in the New World?