Book 2 - Chapter 3

HALIA'S POV

After several hours of paddling until my arms were sore, we finally reached the point where the river narrowed.

"We're here," Tönx said, directing the canoe towards the shore with his paddle.

I looked at the scenery. The high cliffs, the trees. They were so similar to where we had first landed when we left the human ship that brought us in this land. Only, the air was different. It had lost its saline essence. And now one could see the shore on the other side of the river.

It was a river. The sea had turned into a river, much narrower, and it had lost its saline essences.

I didn't expect to be relieved, but I was. I was afraid of seeing the mound, the place where the battle had taken place But we were far from the place where the blood had spilled; where I had killed, where Phi died. It was a relief.

We set foot ashore. The grains of sand and small rocks felt weird between my toes. I froze an instant. I had to get used to walking again, find my balance. I hadn't wandered about on my legs in so long. My body felt incredibly heavy out of the water.

I made a few uneasy steps and helped Tönx safely pull the canoe to shore. Far enough that the current wouldn't take it away.

"You smell like the sea," Tönx whispered as the wind brushed my hair against his face.

I pulled a tread of my now dried hair to my nose. "It's true," I said.

"It smells good," he assured me.

But my godmother would certainly beg to differ.

Aras, my godmother. I was nervous at the thought of seeing her again. Would she be angry with me? Angry that I left in such matter. Without even saying good-bye?

I was so hurt by Phi's death when I entered the sea last summer. That I just entered the waves and never looked back.

*

The village was circled by tall severed tree trunks, pointing at every directions. An inpenetrable fence. Inside, stood round constructions made out of barks. Some were longer than others. A large fire pit adorned the middle of the settlement for their nightly gatherings.

"Halia!" the Tisannieres exclaimed when they caught glimpse of me.

The three identical sisters, with green skin and wearing the exact same green dress ran towards the rest of the community screaming to whoever could hear. "It's Halia! She's back!"

Sitting by a tent, where she was tanning some skin, my godmother lifted her head up. I met her eyes. She immediately set her work aside and ran to hug me in her arms.

It was awkward to hug her. So tiny. Child-like despite the fact she was centuries older than I was.

"How dared you leave me like that!" she said. "I was so worried!"

"She's been drinking tea every night to try to get a feel of you," Tönx said by my side. "To see if you were still alive."

It only made me feel guiltier.

"I am sorry," I finally mumbled. My voice hoarse, my throat thight. "I had to go..."

"I know, child," Aras said. "I know."

She pat me on the back. All accusation had vanished from her voice.

I wondered what she really knew. She knew I was very close to Phi. But is it possible she knows of the true nature of my feelings for her? If she does, does she approve or condemn it?