CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR - PHI (Edited)

PHI'S POV

The spell worked. I saw my father through his eyes, his memories, although everything I saw was covered in a dreamy mist. It was the most peculiar dream. I could hear my father's thoughts resonate in my mind when he fled the kingdom shortly after Wotan's vessel—a ghost ship wandering in the Ardor Bay—lowered its anchor, I could see what he had seen through his eyes.

The king knew what Wotan had been seeking, and he thought he had no choice but to run until he found a way to come back and save us all. I felt his disarray, his concern. His constant mantra: I have to protect my people. I have to protect my daughter.

His daughter. He thought of me as his daughter. Yes! I couldn't help myself. My heart filled with love. He cared for me! It was as if a life thirst of mine was being satiated, finally.

Now that I knew my father cared, the Evil King would find it harder to use my anger against my father to flip me to his side. Thinking of it, my father (Hah! My father—the words were still foreign to me) had always had a special interest in me, even in the alley.

He often looked at me with compassion, especially when I spoke to him about coming of age. He had caught my eye within crowds. He had saved me from the evil fairy cat when I had followed him out of the alley to the port in the Old World.

Of course! He had always loved me.

I continued witnessing my father's life and thoughts as he ran into exile—and he had to run, not out of cowardice, but because he knew that, sooner or later, the Evil King would find me and attempt to marry me.

He knew he had to find a solution soon, before it was too late. I felt his thoughts. If Wotan marries her, nobody will be safe. He will bring everyone under his spell.

Escaping through the woods, in unknown territory, he searched for Geh-Ah, the great bear master. After all, Geh-Ah and Yu-a-geh were the only local creatures they had met, and the bear master seemed welcoming enough when he appeared at the aging ceremony.

If I ask him, he might agree to offer me his help.

Searching for Geh-Ah proved to be difficult a task, as if the latter did not want to be found. Finally, some animals he asked about the spirit's whereabouts told him Geh-Ah, the great bear master, spent most of his time on the island of Llo Esukwak.

The fairy king arrived at the lair the great bear master shared with the bear spirit. The entrance was guarded by other bears, less imposing in size than Yu-a-geh, but who could still do some serious damage when confronted.

My father sent a bear to inform Geh-Ah of his arrival, supposing he would be welcomed.

"Geh-Ah has no particular business with you," was the answer the bear brought back.

"Tell him that he may call and see me when he pleases," my father replied, refusing to consider himself defeated, "but that I will not move until he sees me. It is for both our people's sake that I want to speak to him."

The bear master let him wait for days, forcing the king to find refuge in a tree alongside furry squirrels that let him stay there for warmth. The latter could not bring himself to start a fire, and kept his small form so as not to alert any spies the Evil King might have of his presence.

At last, seeing his tenacity, Yah-Oh agreed to receive him. His lair was cozy and warm. Everywhere where Siegfried laid eyes were laid thick furs, beautifully hand-crafted pipes, amulets, and other ornaments. Geh-Ah was also dressed with richly decorated buckskin loincloths, leggings and moccasins, contrasting with the fairy king's torn clothes.