Book 2 - Snow Flowers - Chapter 4

MOISA'S POV

I have the blood of bird spirits running through my veins -- although I consider myself more human than anything else. I lived along side humans for most of my life. 

I was raised in a human family, until I married Agamet. I left the humans then, my family, my clan, to live with the First Creatures.

I was unhappy with Agamet. I was no longer free. I was my husband's possession and lived in his shadow. My only source of happiness was my son, but he was taken away from me. And the day he died, my husband forced himself on me, as if  in this was going to bring back our child.

I tried to run away once. I wanted to go back to my people. But Agamet brought me back. His men watched me. My belly swelled again, and I gave birth to another child, whom Agamet named after our lost son.

Agamet had been a terrible husband to me, but he had been a good father to our first son. I cannot say he was the same to our second child. I cannot know for sure why that was but I suppose he realized the second child could not replace the one he had lost, even if he gave them the same name.

So when Agamet raised a hand on him, as he so often did with me, I fought back. At night, I wrapped my four year old child in a blanket and I ran away. I thought Agamet's men would catch me, but they did not. They let me go. 

I went back to my family, humans, where they never treated me this way. To me, it doesn't matter what the newcomers say, it is the magical creatures that brought pain in my life, not humans.

It is when they arrived that a war started, a war that took away my son's life. He would still be alive if it weren't for them.

I will never accept them. The new comers should return to where they came from.