eighteen;

POSTING BECAUSE WE HIT 4K READS! LOVE YOU GUYS.

Dedicated to Reese because she is life.

A/N: hey guys please just be aware that there is a very brief, lowkey mental kind of episode thing written into this chapter so just be weary when reading if you're sensitive in regards to this kind of thing, just a heads up x please leave comments and votes if you enjoyed!! dedicating the next chapter to whoever leaves the cutest comments xxx

-

We'd picked the 5SOS boys up from the airport, just like we'd dropped them off only in reverse. Liv sat in the front seat and I sat beside Calum and Luke, listening to them tell me about their families and about what they'd miss the most about Australia. Calum had a sister with the same name as me – Mali. Luke had a habit of eating cereal at night to piss his mother off. All of them were close with each other's' families and it was obvious that while the band was close, their families were closer. It was nice, the community and the love. I envied the structure to their lives and the certainty. I envied them that they lived their dreams out for a living and wished that I knew what my dreams actually were.

"I was expecting a different hair colour, Mals," Luke told me as our taxi raced through the unusually busy LA streets. It was just after 10 o'clock at night and everyone was tired as hell – by everyone, I meant my 5SOS friends. Mel, Liv, Veronica and I were high on happiness.

I turned my head to look up at him. "What colour were you expecting?" I asked, genuinely interested in what colour he might think suited me.

He shrugged, obviously not reading into it like I was. "I don't know, maybe a bright orange or dark green or something."

Tried both. Neither were me.

I grinned at him anyway. "We could dye yours if you'd like."

He rolled his eyes at me. "Bitches already queue for this weave."

I stared at him for a second, his face serious, before we both burst out laughing.

I'd missed him.

His hand was in mine and we sat like that all the way back to the 5SOS apartment where we were all staying that night. I hadn't been able to say hello to Ashton or Michael yet since we were whisked out of the airport quickly in order to avoid chaos with the fans who reliably queued up to catch a glimpse of teen royalty. Instead, I'd see them at home and spent the whole car ride buzzing with contentedness, excitement and the contrasting desire to throw myself out of the taxi because I missed my parents so damn much and it had been consuming me.

***

Special POV: MICHAEL CLIFFORD

While LA was battling the middle of winter, Sydney Australia was dealing with a humid summer. The weather change had fucked me up and I'd ended up coming back to LA feeling like absolute shit. I assumed it was just the common flu and that I'd be over it within a week but that didn't stop me from hating the whole world and wondering what I'd done to deserve such misery.

My voice was pretty much gone – which was a hard thing for me to accept and deal with. I didn't like not talking or laughing. I didn't like staying silent when there was something glorious or offensive to say. I didn't like not being able to sing.

I also hated not being able to show up randomly to Mali's house whenever I wanted while I was away. And so I was happy to be back in my American home.

We arrived back at our apartment, the stale air of the hallway an indication that no one had been here the entire week we'd been gone. If we'd had any plants, they would have been dead now. But lucky for us, we weren't into interior design and therefore didn't require any added greenery to make our apartment feel homey.