King of Wishful Thinking

Original song: King of Wishful Thinking, as covered by Karmin.

I don't need to fall at your feet
Just 'cause you cut me to the bone
And I won't miss the way that you kiss me baby, we were never carved in stone

"That's part of who I am, Laura. So is Matty. You can't expect all of that to just evaporate because I love you." Carmilla's feelings weren't in question, she was just indignant to the way Laura had been showing her off like a prize winning pony. After a long argument, the vampire simply left. She flashed back to a few days prior when Laura had commented on how they'd only been dating for a few months. Why would she feel the same as Carm? She hadn't had the experiences from living as long, she couldn't possibly know love when she felt it. She kicked a stone across the campus as she walked, destination unknown. Maybe if she let out some steam she'd go back. Though she despised the tiny human at the moment, she still loved her and it wouldn't do any good to hurt her. For now it was time to find another place to crash.

If I don't listen to the talk of the town
Then maybe I can fool myself

"Hey, did you hear what happened between that girl in the corner and Laura Hollis?" Some random girl whispered to a companion. Carmilla heard this, scowled, dropped her book and walked over to them. As the one who'd originally spoken turned, she was greeted by a cold, stone hard hand around her neck. She coughed and sputtered, clawing at Carmilla's hand to try and free herself as her feet dangled inches above the ground. "I suggest," Carm tightened her grip a bit. "You don't meddle in other people's business." She threw the girl to the ground, who scrambled to her feet and ran away with her friend. After that, there weren't many people gossiping about their breakup.

I'll get over you, I know I will
I'll pretend my ship's not sinking
And I'll tell myself I'll get over you
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking

A month passed and Carmilla finally decided to leave the campus. Her travels brought her to America, where she met another girl by the name of Billie and just knew it was right. As they grew closer, she couldn't keep herself from making comparisons between Billie and Laura, and sometimes it kept her up at night. She wasn't over Laura and knew it, but she'd never go back or admit it.

I refuse to give into my blues
That's not how it's gonna be
And I deny the tears in my eyes
I don't wanna let you see, no

Billie knew something was up when Carm called her the wrong name. She confronted her about it, but she passed it off as an ex of hers. "Still not over her, huh?" Billie asked, sitting next to Carm on their sofa.
Carmilla sighed in response. "Not entirely," she confessed.
"This Laura- she was really special to you, yes?" The blonde tilted her head slightly, looking intently at Carmilla.
The vampire nodded. "Once upon a time, yes. She was," she said quietly, reminiscing a bit, bringing a small smile to her face.
"Why don't you talk to her? Maybe seeing how things are will help. I'm right here if you need me," Billie smiled. Carm looked up, still not used to getting affection back from her girlfriend. Laura had never done that, she'd always gotten too tongue-tied to be sweet when she wasn't caught up in one big scheme or another.
"Thank you." She genuinely meant it, so thrown off by this that her sarcasm had momentarily left her.
"Anything for you." Billie contemplated kissing her before deciding against it. "Moving on from that chick flick moment," she half-smiled as she picked up her phone and handed it to Carm. "Call away."

That you had made a hole in my heart
And now I've got to fool myself
I'll get over you, I know I will
I'll pretend my ship's not sinking
And I'll tell myself I'm over you
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking

Turns out Laura and Danny had ended up together around the same time Carm had found Billie. It was good to know that she'd moved on, helpful that she was finally happy. With each end wishing each other well, Carmilla hung up.
"How'd it go?" Billie asked curiously. She respected Carm's privacy and didn't force her to put it on speaker, she'd tell her what she felt like telling her.
"Surprisingly well," Carmilla smiled and put the phone on the table. "I think," she moved a bit closer. "We can officially call this our happy ending." And although Carm knew how incredibly cheesy she was being, they kissed.

I'll get over you, I know I will
I'll pretend my heart's still beating
'Cause I've got no more tears for you
I'm the king of wishful thinking

That summer, Danny and Laura flew in from Austria to visit Carm and Billie. They were shocked to find a new addition to the family, and congratulated them. When Laura questioned Carmilla's decision, reason being she'd said once she hated to settle down in one place, and how badly moving would disrupt the adorable little Jocelyn's friends, schooling, et cetera, Carm simply responded with a smile and "People change, and I believe it's been for the better." To this Billie laughed in agreement, and added, "look, we've gone from chick flicks to musicals."