Green

One-shot: Green

"Why are you doing this? I need you!"
"I'm doing this because I'd like to think that you could love me instead of some romantic ideal you've made up in your head!"

Laura held back tears as she thought of their fight. The fight that made Carmilla leave at one in the morning, the fight that she hadn't come back after. She tried to focus on the task before her, but the brush slipped through her fingers just like her soulmate. She was too lost in her own thoughts to hear the click of a key in a lock, the sound of a door opening. Laura blamed herself for everything. If she hadn't been so blinded to Carmilla's feelings, if she'd only listened..

Laura shouted, no word in particular, just an angry cry of despair. She kicked the bucket of paint as hard as she could, splattering the wall in emerald hues. Hearing this sudden outburst, Carmilla quickly rushed to Laura's side. "Whoa, cupcake. Easy," she soothed, wrapping her arm around the brunette's waist and easing her away from the spilt paint and over to the sofa. Laura melted into Carmilla's embrace, turning to bury her face in her chest as she began sobbing.

"I'm so sorry," she choked out. "I love you, I never should've-" Carmilla cut her off, shushing her as she rubbed her back.

"Laura, no. It's not your fault. I was being irrational, it wasn't you." She held her tightly, closing her eyes. She rocked the smaller girl like a child until she calmed down.

Sniffling, Laura looked up at Carmilla and rested her head against her collarbone. She laughed softly, finally registering what was happening. "You came back."

"Of course I came back. I love you too, creampuff."
Laura smiled at that, closing her eyes. She was content, happy that her girlfriend had returned. Until she felt something cold roll up her back. "Carm." She shot up, glaring. A quick brush of her fingers over her lower back revealed a sticky green substance. "You did not."

The vampire grinned, standing up and holding a paint roller as if it were a sword. She quirked an eyebrow, knowing it drove Laura crazy. "Redirect all that anger from before. Come on, let it out."

Rolling her eyes with a big smile on her face, Laura grabbed a cardboard tube from a poster she'd just taken down, wielding it as a lightsaber. "But anger leads to the dark side," she said with a dramatic gasp.

Carmilla decided to play along, enjoying the happiness in her girlfriend's eyes. "Search your feelings, Laura. Join me," she practically purred the last bit, sending shivers up Laura's spine.

"Never!" The blonde laughed, lunging forward and poking Carm in the stomach with the tube. Carmilla grabbed Laura's 'weapon' with hers before dramatically falling with her free hand over the fake wound. Her momentum brought Laura down with her, right on top of the paint roller. They both ignored their now green shirts as their lips met in a soft and long overdue kiss. Laura's hands entangled in Carmilla's hair as she placed them on either side of her face, trying to convey just how much she'd missed her as she deepened the kiss. She was again interrupted as a blob of paint ran down the back of her shirt between her shoulder blades.

"Carmilla Karnstein," Laura said through gritted teeth. "Stop. Putting. Paint. On. Me." She hated the texture, especially when it dried. She got up off her girlfriend and the floor, picking up a blob of paint and throwing it at her. It hit Carmilla right in the neck, and it rolled down the front of her shirt as she stood up. With one swift movement she'd removed the green stained clothing article and did the same for Laura.

"Now this is war," she said with a smirk. Laura's eyes roamed Carmilla's torso, not that it was anything she hadn't seen before. Taking advantage of her distraction, Carm pinned her to the floor and scooped some paint from the overturned bucket on to a finger. In neat scripted handwriting, she spelled out 'mine' across a bare spot on Laura's stomach. Laura returned the favor by scrawling 'property of Laura Hollis' across Carmilla's shoulder and down her collarbone.

Carmilla laughed, able to tell what she'd written through the feeling of each letter. "And I'm the possessive vampire?"

"Shh." Laura shut her up with another kiss. They rolled over a couple times, each girl fighting to end up on top. Carmilla ended up triumphant and she grinned, getting up and offering her hand to help Laura do the same.

"God I love you."
"I know."

Carmilla helped Laura finish painting the wall she'd been working on before, using the light blue that was meant to go on that wall. All they left to commemorate that night was a splash of green at the bottom of the wall, and two handprints above it. It wasn't one either girl would be forgetting anytime soon.

{Update: now includes an edit my twin made. Check it out and drop her a sub! JamieTheUnicorn}