Trick or Treat

Happy Halloween!!
Mini Hollstein :3
Note: Carmilla's mother in this one-off is her biological mother, not the dean.

Donning an all black outfit matched with a pair of ears attached to a headband, and some basic makeup she felt proud of for doing herself, seven year old Carmilla Karnstein strutted into 'Supergirl' Laura Hollis's bedroom with a sassy "meow!"

Laura jumped at the sound, not having noticed the other girl had arrived. Setting down her plastic pumpkin bucket, she ran over to Carmilla and hugged her tightly. She squealed in excitement. "Yay, you're here! Did you bring something to put candy in?"

Carmilla held up an empty pillow case. "Uh huh. I bet I'm gonna get more than you," she taunted.

"No way. I'm taking a pillowcase too!" Laura took the one right off of her bed, the colors of Spiderman somewhat matching her costume. Carmilla gasped dramatically, prompting Laura to tilt her head to one side, confused.

"You can't cross Marvel and DC! Are you crazy?" The taller girl was, of course, only joking. But Laura's eyes widened in horror.

"Oh my Gryffindor you're right! What was I thinking?" She put the Spiderman pillowcase back and grabbed a solid yellow one from a different pillow. "That's better. Ready?"

Carmilla laughed. "Yeah. C'mon!" She grabbed her friend's hand and practically dragged her outside.

~

"Trick or treat!" The two girls shouted in unison, greeting the last person they'd be getting candy from. That happened to be the Hollis's next door neighbor Lola Perry, who audibly aww'ed at the pair. Carmilla's ears had slid sideways as the evening progressed and both girls had knotted, tangled hair from running around as much as they had. After receiving their candy, they headed back to Laura's house to trade candy as they always did, as they each had a distaste for one type or another. Laura pretended to dislike peanut butter cups for Carmilla's sake, as she knew how much the other girl loved them. What she didn't realize was that Carmilla acted the same way regarding the strawberry hard candies.

As soon as they got back, Laura cleared off the dining room table and dumped her candy over half of it. She then began to pick up each piece of candy and mouth something, then toss it back into her yellow pillowcase. Carmilla raised an eyebrow. "What are you doing?"

"Counting my candy. You should count yours too, just to double check that I obviously won," Laura replied with a smug grin. Carmilla huffed.

"I don't think so. I definitely won, you'll see." With that, she dumped her pillowcase on the other half of the table.

~

"Two hundred and seventy! Ha! There's no way you got more than that," Laura cheered, prematurely celebrating her victory. Carmilla smirked, holding up a purple hard candy.

"Two seventy one. I told you, cupcake, I never lose." Laura felt a wave of sadness wash over her and she sniffled, frowning and holding back tears of defeat.

"Oh.."

Carmilla automatically picked up that something was wrong, and while Laura wasn't looking, she slipped a strawberry candy into her pillowcase. Still pretending to be overly enthused by her win, she 'accidentally' knocked the case off the table. It landed on the wooden floor with a soft thud, causing Laura to look up with her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "What was that?"

Carmilla shrugged, pointing to the fallen bed accessory. Laura bent down and picked it up, feeling the weight at the bottom of it. Her face lit up as she pulled the candy out, smiling brightly. "We tied!" She shouted, giggling. Carmilla smiled as she popped a gummy bat into her mouth, satisfied now that Laura was happy.

"Actually, you won."

"Huh?"

She held up the empty wrapper, gesturing to the lack of candy. She made a point to make a noise with the gummy as she opened her mouth to speak. "It's two sixty nine to two seventy one now."

Laura grinned at Carmilla's display of kindness, and quickly engulfed her in a bear hug. "Thank you Carm, I love you. Happy Halloween!"

Carmilla wrapped her arms around her friend, smiling herself. "Happy Halloween, cupcake."