Rain

Don't you fret, M'dame Karnstein
I don't feel any pain

"Carm?" Laura choked out in her last moments, a strand of hope in her dying body that her vampire fiancée would somehow hear her and get to her so she could tell the broody gay how she felt, that she was sorry for everything. As she lay bleeding out on the floor of the cave, surrounded by many other felled students in their attempt to overthrow the Dean for the second time, her only thoughts were of the raven-haired beauty. The rare but satisfying smile, the soft touch of her lips, even her possessiveness. Laura's eyes fell shut as a small smile graced her crimson covered features, remembering one moment in particular.

A little fall of rain
Can hardly hurt me now

It was their senior year at Silas. The two girls were laughing as they laid on a picnic blanket, staring up at the sky after they'd eaten, looking at the stars. It'd become something of a tradition for Carmilla to point out different constellations to Laura, and she always delivered. Tonight, however, they simply enjoyed each other's company. They laid side by side, close enough to feel warmth radiating off the other, and their legs had become a tangled mess of skin and bone, neither able to tell where their leg ended and the other girl's started. Carmilla had her arms behind her head as she rested, and Laura had decided that her upper arm made an excellent pillow. The tiny gay was on her side, transfixed on taking in the entirety of Carm's face, every single beautiful detail of it. She was snapped back into reality when the vampire moved, starting to sit up. With a slight pout, Laura asked, "what? Did I do something?"
Carmilla only laughed, shaking her head. The smile that remained held nothing short of incredulity. "Yes, cupcake. You've done something alright."
The blonde's eyebrows knitted together in confusion, and the smile returned to the vampire's face.
"You've stolen my god damned heart, that's what you've done. In over a century of living I've never found someone like you. I love you, so much more than words can explain." At this point, Carmilla was sitting up, and then she shifted her position so she was kneeling on one knee. Laura put a hand to her mouth, not doing a very good job at hiding the shock of what was happening. Her eyes began to water, and a few joyful tears fell. Her heart swelled with love for the vampire. Carm proceeded to pull a small box out of her pocket, and Laura wondered how she didn't notice with how close they were.
"I ask you this with every intention of spending eternity with you. Laura Hollis," she flipped the box open, revealing a stunningly gorgeous diamond ring. "Will you marry me?"

You're here, that's all I need to know

"Oh god, Laura!" Carmilla disrupted the memory, and fell to her knees beside the dying girl. The tiny gay managed a weak smile, at peace with the concept of dying as long as she got to see Carm's face one last time. "I knew you'd hear me," she murmured, unable to speak much louder without straining and sending another wave of pain through her body. It was a miracle that she could still talk at all.
Carmilla smiled through her tears. There wasn't a way to save Laura now, she was too far gone, and she knew she should comfort her in her last moments. "Of course, sweetheart. I came as quickly as I could."
Laura started coughing, and Carmilla was suddenly afraid it'd be over too soon. She reached out and took one of Laura's hands in hers, willing her to hold on for just a little longer.
"Hold me?" The blonde's voice had fallen to a whisper, time was running out.
Carmilla nodded slowly and gently pulled Laura up next to her. She then shifted so she was sitting flat on the ground and wrapped her arms around her lover. She held her breath for a moment as she accidentally touched the wound the Dean's sword had no doubt inflicted on the poor girl. Laura didn't so much as wince, she was likely beyond feeling any pain. Laura let her head fall to rest on Carmilla's shoulder, and the vampire kissed her head, holding back tears. "I love you."
The blonde closed her eyes, and her lips did their best to lift into a smile and reply with an "I love you too."

And you will keep me safe
And you will keep me close
And rain

Carmilla's sobs were drowned out by thunder. She felt Laura stop breathing, knew it was too late to save her. She scooped her limp body off the cave floor with utmost care and headed out into the storm, doing her best to shelter the dead from torrents of downpouring rain. Her tears mixed with the rain running down her face. She wouldn't sit idly by and let Laura lie in the cave with the other decomposing students, likely to be shoved into a mass grave later on. Laura deserved a proper burial.

Will make the flowers

Laura Hollis was buried in the small cemetery of her hometown. A single figure walked through the heavy fog of the storm's aftermath, unchanged over the course of the years since that fateful day. She stopped at the tombstone with the angel over it, well kept and shiny even after almost a decade. The vampire was paler than was normal, and breathing seemed to take a great deal of effort. She collapsed on her knees in front of the stone, a relaxed smile on the lips of a shaking figure. "Hey cupcake." Her words were strained, she hadn't had a drop of blood for the past several weeks. She reached out and gingerly touched the deep green grass covering the grave, as if Laura were there in front of her. "Who would've thought we'd be meeting again like this? I'm sorry I haven't been visiting, Mattie wouldn't let me get out of bed. I snuck out tonight, because I'm dying. Surprising, I know, but the one disease vampires are susceptible to happened to catch me. And I couldn't think of anywhere else I'd want to do this than by your side." She felt a sudden burst of wind and turned around. Laura was there, smiling, reaching her hand out to her. Carmilla took it without hesitation, and Laura helped her stand, pulling her into a tight hug. "I love you."
"I love you too, cupcake." Both of them were smiling now, and they walked through the gates together. The college sacrifice and the long dead Countess, the latter wearing an elegant white dress, were reunited in death after many long years, and in leaving behind her immortality, Mircalla Karnstein left behind the broody vampire she'd come to be. She was a different girl, not the woman Laura Hollis had fallen in love with.

Grow.