21. Disappear (Remember When)

"Catch you at lunch?" Dallon asked, releasing his grip on my hand. I nodded and walked off to the lunch room. He said he had stuff to do after class and that he'd catch up with me as soon as possible. He's being really cautious though, so I'm worried.

I got to the cafeteria and ate my lunch silently, waiting for Dallon. Several minutes passed and I still didn't see him anywhere. I scanned the room for him one last time before I jumped up and walked out to his locker. I walked down the empty halls and was almost at his locker, when I stopped in my tracks. There he stood, with Caitlyn, and they were kissing. My heart stopped for a second as I took it all in.

He's cheating on me. After everything we've done...

I ran away from the scene, my footsteps heavy on the linoleum floor. Tears streamed down my face as I ran, not exactly sure about my destination.

"Brendon!" I heard him scream from behind me. He wasn't far away, but he wasn't close either.

"Stay away from me!" I shouted and ran into the nearest bathroom. I quickly shut the stall and locked it. He came into the bathroom and looked under the stall doors, shouting my name.

"Bren, come on. Let me explain." He begged. I didn't move from my spot on the floor.

"What could you possibly say to me that would make anything that just happened okay? You're a lying, cheating bastard!" I shouted, my voice cracking. I wiped some of the tears away and stood up. I refuse to stay in this school. I'm going home.

I unlocked the door and pushed by Dallon, ignoring him. He grabbed my arm and I smacked his hand, making him let me go.

"Don't touch me." I growled. I ran away from the bathrooms and went straight to my locker, not looking back. He finally gave up after a few minutes and left me alone. I grabbed my keys and left through the back door.

----

Ry- Dude, something's wrong with Dallon. He just started crying in class and he's being taken to the guidance counselor.

I groaned and threw my phone at my wall. I could care less about what he does at this point. He said he loved me and he turns around and kisses his ex-girlfriend.

I wonder how long he's been cheating on me behind my back?

My mom wasn't home to help me and I can't just pull Ryan out of class. That leaves me with one other option.

Jon.

I got out of bed and grabbed my phone. I noticed the huge lines that are in my view of my screen.

Oh, great. I broke my phone.

I brought up Jon's contact and opened up my messages.

Me- I NEED YOU ASAP

I sent the message quickly. He texted back only a few minutes later.

Jon- On my way, kiddo

I sighed in relief and sat in the floor. I don't know how much I can take before I just explode on Dallon. I love him and I don't want to leave, but I feel like he's forcing me out. He obviously doesn't love me back. I guess I was just a good fuck to him. That's all I was. Someone he could use and then throw out two weeks later. I was stupid to think he would just turn around and love me.

My head was a mess and my life was a disaster. My dad is back on a business trip and my mom is always working, making my life harder, and now Dallon decides to fuck with me.

I heard a soft knock on the door, drawing my attention away from my thoughts. I ran down the stairs and pulled the door open quickly.

I wouldn't imagine a different reaction if I looked at myself right now. I looked like hell and Jon noticed.

"Damn. What's wrong?" He asked as he came inside. I led him over to the living room and sat down on the couch.

"Dallon is cheating on me with his slutty ex-girlfriend." I said blankly. I've been crying ever since I got home and now I can't. I just can't.

"Seriously? I will beat this kid up, Bren, I swear." He said angrily.

"No, no, don't." I said, calming him down.

"Do you still love him after this shit?" He questioned, watching me closely.

"Yes. Of course I do. I still want to be with him, but I feel like he doesn't want to be with me. And who am I to hold him back? If he isn't happy, then I'll let him go." I explained. He shook his head and looked down at his shoes.

"Bren, it's obvious that he means a lot to you, but is he really worth all the pain?" He asked.

"Yes, he's worth it. I've spent more time thinking about that question than I should have." I responded. Before he was mine, I would ask myself that question. Was it really nessicary to chase after someone that will never love me back? And the answer was always yes.

"I don't know what to tell you. Did you at least let him explain what happened?" He asked. I shook my head and stared at my hands.

"Maybe you should hear his side of the story before you make any irrational decisions." He shrugged. I guess I should have let him explain. For all I know, that could have been a one time mistake.

"Hey, sorry, but I have to go. Cassie wants me home." He apologized.

"No, it's fine. Thanks." I said and showed him out. I shut the door behind him and trudged back up the stairs. My phone was vibrating like crazy when I reached my bed. Ryan was blowing up my phone with messages.

Ry- Where are you?

Ry- What's wrong?

Ry- You're scaring me, stop.

Ry- Answer me please

Ry- Dallon's leaving

Ry- Please tell me what's going on.

I decided I'd just tell him what happened briefly. I'll explain more tomorrow.

Me- I'm home and I'm safe, don't worry. I'll see you tomorrow.

I sent the message and locked my phone, not expecting another text. I laid back on my bed and ran a hand through my hair. I don't remember the last time I've been this stressed over something.

My phone vibrated, making a strange noise against the wooden nightstand. I sat up and opened the new message.

Dal- You have no idea how bad I feel, Bren. I'm so so so sorry. I'll pick you up tomorrow and take you to school. Will you please let me explain tomorrow? I need to know that you're okay...

He better be good at explaining.

Me- Fine...

I sent it and locked my phone again, shoving it under my pillow. I could really use a nap right about now. I got up and changed into my old basketball shorts before climbing into bed and relaxing. My light was off and it was pitch black in my room, not giving me much to look at. I needed something to distract myself with.

I reached for my phone once again and went to my music. I scrolled through the countless amount of songs and finally chose one to play. I hummed along to it, my eyes slowly closing as I drifted off into thought.

All I can think about is Dallon and how much I want this night to be over. How much I want that explanation.

How much I'd like to just disappear.