Chapter 8

We got to 22 votes! That means another chapter :D A lot of important things happen in this chapter...so 24 votes this time?

This story was number 5 for historical fiction! Can you believe that? I'm so happy!

Thanks for all your support! Here it goes...

Chapter 8

            I began eating out more and more often. I would have enjoyed a home-cooked meal occasionally but Mrs. Dougherty wasn’t cooking for me and Mr. Pierce wanted me to eat out with him and sometimes other clients.

            This particular afternoon I was eating out at a small (but pricey) café with Mr. Pierce and a man named Ben Lyon. Mr. Ben Lyon was in the film business and I was hoping he might give me a chance to prove my acting talents. Mr. Pierce didn’t know of my hopes to become a film star though; he had set this meeting up because Mr. Lyon was a friend of his who had admired my picture in a magazine.

            The two friends were discussing some sporting event as we took our seat at a table in the window. I had never really been interested in sports, so I took the opportunity to study and compare the two men.

            Mr. Pierce had more attractive features overall. He had bright blue eyes and chestnut-brown hair that looked like it would be soft to touch.

            On the other hand, Mr. Ben Lyon had dark, brooding eyes, thin black hair, and a pale complexion that appeared almost unhealthy. His ears protruded awkwardly as well, and his legs seemed too long for the rest of his body. Still, Mr. Lyon was very charming.

            “Ben, this is Miss Norma Jean Dougherty. Norma, this is Ben Lyon.”

            Mr. Pierce often called me miss. I often wondered if he knew I was married. It didn’t really matter though; Mrs. sounded old and unattractive.

            “Pleased to make your acquaintance.” I smiled at Mr. Pierce’s friend. Mr. Lyon took my hand, brought it to his lips, and kissed it softly.

            “The pleasure is all mine.” He grinned at me. I smiled bashfully and bat my eyes; I wanted desperately to win him over. How incredible would it be if I could become a movie star?

            “Ben was telling me how much he liked your photograph on the cover of Man to Man Magazine.” Mr. Pierce explained to me again. That was a picture of me in lingerie, if I remembered correctly. What a typical man!

            “Why thank you Mr. Lyon. They also put that picture in a calendar.”

            “Yes.” Mr. Lyon nodded, smiling almost shyly. “I went out and bought it almost immediately.” He looked so embarrassed that couldn’t hold back my giggle. Mr. Lyon didn’t look upset though. Instead, he told me, “You have the prettiest laugh I have ever heard!”

            “And you are very entertaining! If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything.”

            Mr. Lyon erupted in laughter and Mr. Pierce chuckled as well.

            A waiter in his 20’s came up to take our orders. I noticed his eyes were constantly on me but I didn’t say anything. When he walked away though, Mr. Pierce commented.

            “The boy couldn’t take his eyes off you!”

            “Well, she is a beauty.” Mr. Lyon remarked.