Chapter 19

Bonjour, salut, and hello everyone! Here's the 19th chapter! Woot woot!

I'm updating early because I feel like it. I got a new puppy yesterday so I'm in a very good mood.

So 50 votes again for this chapter, but that's a long-time goal. I'll probably update before then, but don't forget to vote.

Enjoy!

Chapter 19

I had planned to study baseball for a few hours to prepare for my almost-blind date with Joe DiMaggio. Jean told me he loved my movies, so he at least had seen me before. I, on the other hand, was not exactly a baseball fan. I hardly even knew the rules of the game!

But, true to my lazy self, I put off reading about baseball till the very last second. Now it was ten to one, I was meeting Joe at one, and I couldn’t wrap my head around the rules.

I tried to wrap a scarf around my head with one hand as I held the Encyclopedia of Sports with my other.

“The goal is for the runner to make it to home base.” I read aloud. “Ok, remember Marilyn, go to home base.”

I set the book down on my bed as I buttoned up my dress pants, still reading. “The pitcher throws the ball towards home plate.” But I thought the pitcher was on the runner’s side! Why would they try to get their own teammate out?

“This is so confusing!” I groaned as picked up the book and raced to the door to put on shoes.

“There are nine innings in a game. There are three outs in half an inning.” So six outs in a whole inning? What was an inning, anyway?

Once my shoes were on, I checked the clock. Five to one; I had to get going. I threw a pair of sunglasses on and bolted out the door.

I was only about ten minutes late…that’s not so bad. It’s not like I really wanted to go on this date in the first place! I moped in silence as my taxi pulled to a stop outside the café where I was supposed to meet Joe.

“How much will that be?” I asked the driver politely.

“Free for you, Miss Monroe. Have a good one!”

“You too!” I smiled charmingly at him. What a nice guy!

I paused before entering the café. How was I going to know who this guy was? I had never seen him before! I wish I had thought of that earlier…

The café door was yanked open and three young men strolled out. They paused in the doorway, staring at me.

“You’re Marilyn Monroe!” One exclaimed. I considered making a sarcastic remark but refrained from it; these people were my fans, I couldn’t act rude towards them.

“That’s me.”

“Jack, you got a pen?” The boy nudged his friend, who produced a pen out of his trouser pocket. “Can you sign this for me?” He held out a scrap of paper and the pen.

“Of course.” I had become used to signing autographs, but I had to hurry. This was making me even later to my date. “Who should I make it out to?”

“Benjamin.” I signed and handed the paper back to the boy, who had a big grin on his face. “Thank you!”

I nodded at him before pushing past the boys and into the café. It was pretty crowded inside. Now who here looks like he plays baseball?

“Miss Monroe?” A quiet voice on my right startles me.

“Yes?” I turned to see a man standing next to me. He was fairly tall and quite handsome. Don’t think that! I chided myself. You’re here to meet another man!