Chapter 9

27 votes? Thanks you guys!

I made this chapter a little longer....I think it's worth 28 votes :D

A special thanks to katlyn_36, who made me a gorgeous cover. You should go check out her stories. They look pretty good :)

Now enjoy!!!

Chapter 9

            “This is your home?” I gasped as Ben Lyon drove up to a beautiful beach-side mansion surrounded by palm trees and sand.

            “Do you like it, Ms. Dougherty?” Him calling me miss reminded me of my troubles with Jim but I didn’t want to dwell on that. Here I was at a mansion on the beach! It was time to relax and enjoy myself.

            “I love it! I’m looking forward to meeting your wife as well.”

            “Yes.” Ben stopped the car. “I am sure you and Bebe will get along well.”

            We stepped out of the car and Ben took my luggage for me. I smoothed my dress down; I had worn my favorite outfit to look my best.

            The inside of Ben’s house was just as impressive as the outside. The walls were lined with paintings of the beach signed by Bebe and movie posters of films that starred Ben or Bebe.

            “I had no idea your wife painted, Ben.”

            “She’s in a partial retirement; she has lots of time on her hands.” He explained as he set my bags down in the hallway and led me through another passage and into the sitting room.

            “Have a seat and I’ll get a servant to bring you a drink. I’m not sure where Bebe is at the moment.” Ben excused himself.

            I sat down on a recliner that faced a large glass window with a good view of the ocean. It was about midday but nobody was out on the beach. Maybe it was private property…

            “Oh my goodness, you startled me!” My head snapped towards the voice. The voice belonged to a woman who was tall with dark brown hair and big brown eyes. She had on a long white robe that trailed on the floor and she was posed with one hand on her hip. In her other hand was a piece of paper. “You must be Miss Dougherty.”

            “You can call me Norma.” I replied shyly. The lady in front of me was obviously someone with class and style and she made me feel inferior, even in my favorite dress.

            “I’m Bebe, Ben’s wife. I’m sure you’ve heard plenty about me.” Bebe flipped her hair and sat down on a recliner next to me.

            “I have actually, but Ben never told me how glamorous you are!” I blurted out before thinking. I’d have to remember to be more cautious about what I said here; these people were not the same boring people I was used to being around. They were high-class people I didn’t want to embarrass myself in front of.

            Bebe waved off my compliment. “Thank you darling, you flatter me. But stop being so shy! Ben has told me about you and you sound very fun to be with. Don’t disappoint me.”

            Her words, which were meant as a compliment, sounded more like a warning to my ears. It sounded like Bebe was saying If I don’t like you, you’re not going to make it in this business.

            I was saved from answering when Ben walked in, followed by a male servant with a tray of drinks. Ben had changed into casual white pants and a loose blue shirt.