Epilogue

Two years later...

"Hey Frankie." Gerard smiled softly, clutching the fresh bouquet of marigolds to his chest as he approached Frank's grave.

Gerard was mostly alone in the small cemetery besides an older man a few rows away, but he didn't seem to pay Gerard any mind, so Gerard settled himself by Frank's tombstone, pressing his back against the sun warmed marble before placing the flowers down next to him.

"I'm sorry I have been away for so long, but I'm back now, and I brought your favorite flowers as an apology - see, they are even yellow," Gerard chuckled weakly, letting his eyes slip shut as he breathed in deeply, absorbing the peaceful aura that always surrounded this place.

It was as if he could physically feel Frank here with him, and even though Gerard had now convinced himself that Frank was watching over him in one way or another, his presence was always strongest at his grave, turning this place of sadness into a peaceful escape.

"I'm doing a lot better since my last visit...I'm sorry you had to see me that way, I was just so scared, but Mikey was right, as always, and being sent away really helped, I'm four months clean now," Gerard smiled proudly, twisting his bare arms toward the marble slab, showing off his fading scars to Frank.

After Gerard had moved in with Mikey and Pete, he had tried his best to refrain from self-harming, but that had been easier said than done, and he quickly found himself reverting back into his old habits, but even though he made sure to mutilating his thighs instead of his arms, Mikey still caught on, and after the third instance, Mikey insisted that Gerard needed professional help, ignoring Gerard's protests entirely.

Gerard didn't want to be sent away, because he had no idea how being locked in a place filled with complete strangers would make him want to stop self-harming, and Gerard had been getting better; he wasn't cutting to die, just to feel, but Mikey didn't listen to his arguments, and with his parents help, he had Gerard committed to an institution.

Gerard resisted of course, even going so far as to run away, taking the train back to Jersey, even though that would be the first place Mikey would look for him, but Gerard hadn't exactly been thinking rationally at the time, and it had only taken Mikey a few hours to find Gerard at Frank's grave, curled up on the ground as he sobbed softly.

Gerard couldn't fight his little brother forever though, not that Mikey was going to take no for an answer, and after numerous bitter arguments, Gerard gave in, allowing Mikey to lead him into the sterile looking building that was going to be his home for an undetermined amount of time.

Gerard had been miserable at first, refusing to talk to the numerous therapists he was forced to see, lashing out at every opportunity, he even managed to hurt himself numerous times. Gerard was just so angry, but most of all, he felt abandoned. Gerard had been separated from everyone he cared about and left to rot, but maybe he deserved this, maybe this was all his life was going to be now that Frank had been taking away from him.

Gerard wasn't really surprised that Mikey had locked him up in here, Gerard knew that Mikey would grow frustrated with him sooner or later, but it still hurt, and even the weekly visits from his family did nothing to alleviate the sense of betrayal that burned bright and hot in his chest.

But eventually, Gerard started to realize that he really did need help, and after numerous dreams involving Frank, in which he begged Gerard to keep fighting, promising that Mikey still loved him, he just couldn't stand to watch him hurt himself, Gerard began to participate in the daily session that he had so despised, only Frank's desperate pleas ringing in his ears allowing him to stomach the doctors fake smiles and promises of understanding.