Still into You

Chapter Ten: Still into You 

"I think you and I should break up."

I freeze at Zach's sudden words. "W-What?"

"I just...you're too good of a friend and I don't want to lose you."

I straighten up and look into his eyes. "I feel the same." It was nice having Zach as a boyfriend but he's more of a brotherly type, for me anyways. I couldn't bear having a bad breakup with him. I'd be all alone again.

Unless you count Reed.

"Really, you do?" He asks.

I nod. "In fact I was going to tell you the same, only I couldn't work up the nerve to do it." I'm glad the only thing Zach and I did was hold hands. It would have been awkward if we kissed or something.

"So friends?"

I smile. "Of course."

"Good." He smiles his half smile.

"But I can still stay here right? I'm scared of what Rick will do if I show back up." Luckily he went out the other day so I could get a few pairs of clean clothes. But since that one time I haven't been back.

"You can."

I don't know what I'd do without Zach. He's been so nice to me. He really helped me through that bit of depression I had swarming around in my head. I can't even remember the last time I actually broke down. And it's all thanks to Zach.

He really is like my guardian angel.

"Hey Zach what made you realize that we should just be friends?" I ask curiously. I know I did because of Reed.

His cheeks turn a soft pink color.

Hmm…

"Did you meet someone?" I smirk playfully.

"Not exactly." He mumbles. Knowing Zach that could mean anything, he's going to have to tell me eventually so I'll just let him take his time. Zach tends to tell me things when he feels like I should know.

"Well I'm sure whoever it is they're very lovely." I smile at him.

He just nods with that small half smile pulling on his lips.

Later that evening I was sitting out in the halls, casually studying while listening to some music. It was late so not many people walked by or disturbed me. As I was finishing up, however, someone tapped my shoulder.

You are now up to date with everything that had happened.

I look up and my eyes meet Reed's. He grins and sits next to me, our shoulders touching. I pull out my earbuds.

"Hi." I mumble softly, still not use to being friendly with him.

"Hey Caleb! Sorry if I'm bothering you, I just wanted to ask a quick question!"

"No, no it's fine. Ask away!" I straighten up, trying to distance myself from him.

"Well this weekend some friends and I were heading up to the river. I wanted to know if you and Zach wanted to join!"

Wow, he's actually inviting Zach somewhere? He must be serious about us being friends. A few weeks ago he wouldn't even want to be near Zach. Suddenly he wants both of us to hang with him? I thought he'd break before that.

Maybe he really has changed. Nah, this is Reed we’re talking about.

"It'd be nice to get a break." I admit. "After all this studying, that is."