Samantha Emerson

I was never a girly girl and that tore my mom apart. I'm not a girl for dresses, lipstick, or pink. I would rather wear jeans, play sports, and hang out with my brother. My girly side has me playing the piano and has a love for art. I enjoy painting and drawing; it puts me in my own world. That is what keeps my mom content. My name is Samantha Emerson and I am 16 years old, but like I said, I'm not a girly girl, so call me Sam.

Anyway, more about me. I have light brown hair that is a few inches below my shoulders. My eyes are hazel and I stand at 5'7. I love to run in track and play volleyball, and my favorite color is navy blue. That pretty much sums me up.

I live with my mom, Lucy and my brother, Michael. We are moving to Santa Carla to live with my crazy grandpa, but I love him to death. This is because my parents got a divorce and my dad disowned me and Michael. It tore me apart because I loved my dad so much more than I do mom, and now I am stuck having to be with her. She treats me poorly because I don't want to be what she wants. She wants a pretty blond hair, blue eyed angel that loves dresses and is elegant. Gag me with a spoon. Michael is the only one I can go to. He is there for me and I don't know what I would do without him.

We arrived in Santa Carla at about noon and got some lunch. Boy, it was a lot different compared to Phoenix. With the ocean and the cool breeze, the colder weather was lovely. I already liked it here. Grandpa lived out in the middle of nowhere on his own pasture. He had horses; how great. Hated them sense I was bucked off as a kid. He had a wood cabin. It seemed to be pretty cozy until I saw all of the animals. Stuffed animals, and not the cute, care bear kind. I guess I forgot that grandpa was into taxidermy. That is when I saw grandpa, lying on the floor.

"Umm…mom?" I pointed to the body.

"Looks like he's dead…" Mike added.

Mom ran over to him. "Dad? Dad…." She repeated. She turned to us in worry. That's when I heard laughing.

"Ha ha! Just playing dead, and what I can tell I'm doing a damn good job of it too." Grandpa chuckled. Yep. I loved him. He could scare the hell out of mom.

"Oh dad!" Mom laughed, trying to get past this embarrassing moment.

Gramps got up and patted the dirt off of his pants. "Let me show you guys around."

After a pretty extensive tour I settled into my room. Pretty nice, plus it wasn't filled with animals. I hung Queen and AC/DC posters on the walls and felt at home. I slumped over to the dresser and pulled out a pair of skinny jeans and a black tee. After changing I slipped on my converse and headed to the living room. Mike was talking to the "old fart" about something the murder capital of the world. I loved that he let me call him that. Now I was interested. I tried to listen in on their unique conversation.

"Well, let me put it this way. If all of the corpses around here were to stand up all at once, we would have one hell of a population problem." Grandpa sighed.

Santa Carla, the murder capital of the world? Ha! Probably a tourist's imagination out of control. Oh no, let me go get my mace! The boogey man is after me! I couldn't help but laugh.

"What's so funny, Sam?" Mike questioned.

"Oh, nothing." I giggled.

"Anyway, Sam, do you want to go to the boardwalk later?"

"Yeah!" Finally, something fun to do!

We ate dinner at seven. Whoo-hoo, mom was too tired to cook so we got pizza! The sun was going to set in about an hour and I went to go get ready. I pulled on a Michigan hoodie and headed to the bathroom. Sure, I was a tomboy, but I liked to wear some makeup.