Protect Myself

Chapter 7

Marko’s Pov

She…she has to be.  Oh listen to yourself!  She can’t be!  Electricity, that kiss…she is the one, and that’s that.

She deserves anything better than what she already has to deal with.  This…this will work.

‘Guys!  The sun!’ Paul called.

The sky was getting lighter and I took to the air.  Thank heaven (haha) for the clouds or we would be toast, literally!  Laughing, we made our way to the back cavern, but not before we saw something…unexpected.

David growled.  Star and Michael were ‘together’ on her bed.  Me, Paul, and Dwayne had to hold David back.  He was more than pissed and would have surely torn Michael to shreds. 

“Calm down, she really wasn’t the one David.”  Dwayne said.  He didn’t listen.

“How dare she!  First she defies my order, and then she does…this!” David flared.  This isn’t going to end well.  Slowly and cautiously we took off our boots, and flew up to the pole.  Once comfortable, we fell into a rather restless sleep. 

Tonight is going to be a long one.

Sam’s Pov

Those eyes.  Those piercingly evil eyes.  The same eyes from that monster woke me up.  Looking at the clock it read 6:27.  No wonder why I was so tired.  Thinking back to last night I thought of the word ‘friend’.  Marko is only my friend, right?  We can’t be more than that, right?  So many questions…oh well.

After getting up and out of pajamas I made my way to Michael’s room.  Slowly I opened the door and peeked my head in.  To my surprise, it was empty.  Still not home?  Jeez Mike, how long does it take to work this out?

Sighing, I made my way to the kitchen.  Grandpa was in his own little world, and thank god mom wasn’t in the room.  I don’t know how I can handle dealing with her after yesterday.  Pouring a bowl of cereal, I lazily slumped down at the table.  I was almost finished when I heard a door swing open.  Turning, I saw Mike ‘talking’ to mom.  He seemed a bit steamed, probably from yesterday’s less than pleasing phone call.  Mike stormed into the kitchen, sunglasses in hand.   Something was off…

“Hey, looks like I wasn’t the only one who got lucky last night!”  Grandpa chuckled, coming back to reality.  Michael only looked up and smiled.  Uh oh, I had only seen Mike with a face like that once before.  Mike, what have you done?

He looked to me and sighed, obviously uncomfortable.  Turning, he made his way to the stairs, me following quietly behind.  Once at the top he shuffled to his room, and sat on his bed.  He knew what was to come.

“Mike, what happened to working this out?!?” I practically screamed.  He sighed and turned away from me, looking to the floor.

“I got a bit…distracted.”

“I’ll say!  Jeez, who was it?  How much did you pay?” I spat.

“You know that I would never do that Sammy!” with his tone finally reaching mine, he stood up.

“Then…then who was it?  Who do you know here?  I doubt you have –” I gasped.  “It’s the girl from the boardwalk huh!?!  Boy that little bit-” I never got to finish the sentence and the next thing I knew was thrown against the wall.  With hitting his dresser and didn’t even notice I began to cry.

“You are nothing.  Star is everything.  So don’t you DARE say that about her!” he yelled, adding a kick to my ribs.  I finally looked up at Michael.  His eyes were yellow.  Like the eyes from the monster in my dreams.  Mike then stormed out.  He is no longer my brother; all he cares about is Star.  What did I do?  This is all her fault. It’s too late now, I have to protect myself.