Chapter 14

We are outside the King's chambers while people are running all around. I have yet to understand what happened due the fact Cole stormed down to the Kings rooms during our date at the top of the castle. 

Miranda was already near the chambers when I got down of the roof top. "What happened?" I asked her, she shook her head sadly. "The King is dead" she said and a tear rolled down her cheeks. We all had a special relationship with the King, he was our ultimate leader, he was nice and kind and always there for us. I felt a bond break inside me, the kind of bond every werewolf feels when his leader is gone. At the same time I felt another bond forming inside of me and I knew that it was Cole's wolf taking the Kings place. He is the heir after all.

"Where is the Queen?" I ask Miranda she nods with her head behind a close door, "Alone?" I ask her "No, there are maids with her" she replies. I nod and look around, "What we should do now?" I ask her and she shrugs "I have no idea, Derek just got in there. Let's go back to our rooms. I am sure everyone are upset enough" I agree with her and we both make our way to our rooms. 

That was definitely not the way I wanted my date to end. I was hoping for something more romantic and the Kings death was not romantic at all. I was wondering what was Cole doing right now, if he wanted to be comforted or if he was breaking the castle down. I am sure he was okay, I mean I knew he was strong and he could go through this, right?

For an hour the only thing on my mind was Cole. I wanted to see him, to comfort him, just be there for him. As him mate I should do this, I told myself  and I raised from the chair I was sitting on. 

I was still wearing my dress, but I didn't care. I just wanted to see if my mate was alright. I sniffed the air in order to catch Cole's scent. Finally I smelt his unique mouth-watering scent and I followed it until I was outside the King's office, which I suppose now belongs to Cole. The door was half closed, so I decided to slowly pop my head to see if he was still there. As I was leaning over I caught Svetlana's scent as well and I felt my wolf growl. 

When I opened the door completely Svetlana was kissing Cole while her hands was holding his low on her waist. 

The world stopped right there for me. Seeing them together seemed right and wrong at the same time. "Sam?" Cole said breaking away from their kiss,  Svetlana smiled evilly at me, while Cole say, "No, no its-" , "Save it" I say while raising my hand as a gesture for him to stop talking. I don't need to hear the lame line 'It's not what you think'... 

I turn to leave and at the same time I hear Svetlana squeal and I feel Cole's arms around me. "No" he says again, this time close to my ear. I can feel his whole front pressed to my back pulling me closer to him, my wolf wanted him to explain but my human self wanted to punch him in the face. Instead of that I just pushed my body out of his arms and went straight to Miranda's room, not risking him coming to my room at night. 

"Hey" she says as she opens the door for me with sleepy eyes. "Sam? What's wrong?" she asks, now fully awake and takes me to her arms. She closes the door and makes me sit on a chair next to a table like the one in my room. I see Derek coming near us until he is next to Miranda, throwing an arm around her waist "Is everything alright?" he asks me and I nod, "I think we should stay alone" Miranda says to Derek who nods and with a last peck on her lips he leaves us.

"Do you want to talk about it?" she asks me, I shake my head. "Well, I do. I don't like seeing you like this; I have never seen you like this. Who made you cry?" she asks me, I can feel the best friend's mode is already on. I smile sadly at her, what can I actually say to her? That I gave into my feelings and trusted Cole to be the good mate and he failed me? I couldn’t say that, not because of me, but because she has always believed in the perfect mate relationship and I don't want to be the one to break it to her.