20| Mixed

20| Mixed

Jeanine looks at us with disappointment in her eyes. She takes a step towards us slowly. I refuse to make eye contact with her. I look down and let my tears splatter onto the hard cement floor.

"Tobias Eaton." Jeanine says and I quickly look up. Four's real name is Tobias Eaton. He's Marcus' son. "Beatrice. I thought it was intellect I was sensing in you." Jeanine sighs, before she turns to me. I look down. "Skylar Rolland. I trusted you. You know how many leaders I chose to tell this private information to? Only the four of you." I feel like she's expecting me to say sorry or something. When I don't reply, she goes on. "This betrayal calls for immediate execution. Eric." I didn't even know that among the few hands holding me so that I don't try anything, Eric was one of them.

"I'd be happy to." Eric says and I feel Eric's arms around my stomach from behind.

"Wait! No! Tris! Tris!" I screech, my hand finding hers. Tris holds on so tightly that our hands turn pale. She begs for mercy consecutively, but they ignore her and try to hold her back.

Eric tugs me harder and my hand slips away from hers. I cry as Eric pulls me out of the room, everyone ignoring Tris and my own pleads. I notice Four try to get to me, but he's just pulled back again.

Eric drops me to the ground, and I fall on my back. I dig my fingers into the grass, trying to feel the earth one last time before it's over.

Eric aims his rifle at me, and I squeeze my eyes shut. It is completely silent between us. I block out the sound of gunshots going off and the sound of Abnegation screaming and children wailing.

"Just do it!" I shout at him, still keeping my eyes shut. I shriek when I feel his strong hands pull me up to my unsteady feet. I open my eyes to see him looking directly at me.

I'm caught off guard when Eric pulls me into his chest, his arms around my back and his face snugged into the crook of my neck. I don't know where to put my hands, so I leave them drooping at my sides. His breath against my skin sends goosebumps through my body.

I am feeling a whole mix of emotions- confusion, fear, relief and lust.

"Go. Get away from here." He says when he finally pulls away. I stare at him blankly. "I said go!" His voice makes me flinch, but I take his advice and turn around and take off. But not before I press my lips against his for the first time in a long time. The kiss only lasts two seconds, but it's the best two seconds I've ever had in my whole life.

As I keep running, I see Tris in the distance. She is kneeling before three Dauntless men. I run faster. Before I can scream out for her, gunshots echo through the air and for a second I think that it's towards Tris. But I'm wrong.

The men all fall dead, and I don't even feel bad. "Tris!" I scream with happiness and Tris engulfs me in a huge hug.

"I thought you were dead!" Tris exclaims into my jacket.

"I thought so too."

"Mom!" Tris releases me and runs towards her mother, a spitting image of her.

"Beatrice!" I smile at the sound of Tris's real name and the reunited loved ones. It makes me miss my mom even more.

"We gotta run!" Her mother says and takes the lead. Tris and I follow her, not too far behind.

>>>

Everything happened way too fast for me to process. One minute we are shooting back at the Dauntless who chased us, and the next, Natalie Prior is slumped against the alley way wall, a large bullet wound seeping through her clothes.

The scenes all too familiar. I felt like I relived the moment where my mother was killed.

The sounds of Tris's cries for her mother are unbearable and all I can do is lean against the opposite wall, as my legs felt like they were about to give way, and try to fight the urge to throw up from all the upsetting things that are happening.

Gunshots land not too far away from us and Tris holds her dead mother in her arms tightly. I try to pull Tris up but she starts to scream even more.

"Stop! Stop!" She sobs but not to me, more to those who were shooting at us.

"We have to go, Tris!" I tell her, yelling over the gunshots.

I felt like Eric when he tried to pry me away from my mother.

"I love you, mom." Tris is hysterical as she lays her mother down softly.

I link my arm around hers as we start running down the alley way, dodging bullets left to right.

We meet a few Abnegation, including Tris's father and brother, in a secret location. It's like a giant storage area, with large crates containing things that I don't know. It smells musky.

Out of the shadows, an Abnegation man with streaks of grey through his dark hair steps out towards Tris and the two embrace. He holds her tightly, obviously relieved to know that his daughter is alright. While they speak, I notice a few more Abnegations hiding, one of them is Tris's brother- Caleb. Even Marcus is there, except he seems less sympathetic even though Tris and her father are mourning the loss of Natalie.

"We need to leave now." He says and I feel like punching him in the face for disturbing the moment. Tris pulls away from her father's arms and glares at Marcus, since she knows about him and Four.

"Why is this happening? I don't understand." Caleb cries, hugging his sister. He is the only one here dressed in blue. "Why is Dauntless fighting for Erudite?"

"They don't know what they're doing. They're under simulation." I say. I feel guilt wash over me since I helped put some of them under simulation.

Tris nods with me. "We need to wake them up and get into Dauntless." She says, referring to me.

>>>

I lean down against the walls on the inside of the train, opposite to Caleb who is next to Marcus and Tris. I hold my rifle tightly against my chest, ready to be aimed whenever necessary. I can't stop thinking about Eric. I have mixed feelings towards him.

Why did I kiss him especially after all he's done to me? I hate how easily I could forgive people.

Everyone is unsteady as the train races along the tracks. I make eye contact with Tris, who gives me a look as if asking if I'm alright. I just force myself to smile and nod, but my eyes water and a lump forms in my throat.

Tris senses this and she rushes over to me, immediately embracing me as I break down. I sink down against the wall, my sobs sounding more like hiccups. Tris doesn't let go of me, and holds me tighter in her arms. I can't help but squeeze onto her forearm, closing my eyes and imagining it's Eric who is holding me even though Eric doesn't deserve my love.

"Sh, it's okay." Tris whispers into my hair, and I shake my head.

"I-I'm sorry. I shouldn't be crying. You're the one who-" I stop mid sentence, questioning whether or not it was appropriate to mention her dead mother, especially since it was only an hour ago since she died.

This time, Tris shakes her head. "You did too. After all you've been through, it's okay to cry. It's okay to just let it all out."

I hate crying, it doesn't feel good. It hurts. It makes it harder to breathe. It makes me feel weak.

I force myself to stand up, Tris removing her arms from around me. I had nearly forgot Caleb and Marcus were there, watching us and not knowing what to say or do.