31| Persistance

31| Persistance

The pain that I had been feeling in my entire body from exhaustion was long gone as I ran for my life. The only reason I could run was because I was running off fear. They were after me, I could hear them shouting far away but they were definitely after me.

When I reached the city, I felt some hope grow within my fragile body. This is where the train stopped, meaning Eric could still be around here along with Tris and Four. But I couldn't stop running yet because the two slim, athletic looking men were still chasing me, knifes in their hand. If they had guns, there would of been no way that they didn't shoot me and miss.

Several minutes later and the aching in my legs was kicking in. I felt myself stumble but before I could touch the ground, I steadied myself again.

"Come here you little bitch!" I heard one of them growl close to me.

It then hit me that if the others were here, then they would hear me.

So, through my jagged and uneven breaths, I tried to scream for help. But my voice sounded weak and pathetic.

"No one's gonna help you, pretty!" The other one says and I know they are both smiling at how close they are to me.

I can't turn into any random direction because most of them are alleyways and I'd only be stuck there.

Suddenly, three gunshots echo through the air and I scream, clutching my head and collapsing forward. I hear the boys grown in pain, and look over my shoulder. Both of them lay just a few feet away from me. I can see that one of them is long dead, with a gunshot in to the back of the head and another in the middle of his chest. The other one, however, lays still alive next to his deceased ally, blood seeping through his filthy grey shirt in the middle of his stomach.

I rise to my feet, watching him clutch it and cry out in pain. I don't feel any remorse, however, because of what he did to Rosa.

Another bullet lands into the side of his head and I flinch, looking up past his dead body.

Eric lowers the gun and spreads his arms out, inviting me in for an embrace. I bust into hysterical tears as I run towards him, so happy to see him again but also so ashamed of myself.

I crash into him and wrap my legs around his waist, clutching the back of his neck and digging my face into his neck tattoo. I feel my tears moisten his skin but he doesn't care. Eric hugs me so tightly that I have never felt so safe in my entire life.

"It's okay. It's okay now, Skye." He whispers and I cry even harder, my entire body convulsing.

"No. It's not okay. I've done h-horrible things and-" I gasp for breath and Eric rubs my back.

"Not now, okay? Let's just get you out of here." Eric tells me and I expect him to lower me but instead he starts walking with me still clinging to him.

"I'm too heavy." I say through tears.

Eric chuckles. "You're light as." He says.

I look down and notice that Eric has his thigh wrapped nicely by a clean bandage, making me wonder where he has been to be treated so well and also relieved to see that he can walk now, although he is limping. But his strength is definitely back.