32| Demons

32| Demons

I suddenly open my eyes, my vision concealed by darkness. The only light I do see is coming from the outside of the bedroom door, and that's enough to help me make out a few objects and furniture.

I turn onto my back then onto my side again, this time facing Eric. He looks so gorgeous sleeping, and I can't help but reach over and barely graze my lips over his. I want to kiss him but I don't want to wake him up. He's still in the same position as when we fell asleep together.

I roll onto my back again and then wipe down my face and sigh. Everything has just been so hectic, and I really did need this sleep. Knowing I'm safe and no one will hurt me makes me able to keep my guard down and finally get a good night's rest. I feel like I've been sleeping for so long, possibly days. It's a strange feeling.

I look at my fingers just a few inches from my face. They're black in the darkness, and also look slightly different. And that's when I notice that I have six fingers instead of five.

I sit up urgently and look at both my hands from afar. All together, I have twelve fingers. I'm struck with confusion and fear as my hands begin to tremble.

I hear a knock on the ground. My breathing hitches as I look at my feet near the end of the bed. I can't see anything but I can sense something there. When I listen carefully, I can hear light breathing and it's not coming from Eric nor me.

My chest begins to rise and fall at a rapid pace, and I start to hyperventilate. My vision slowly zooms into the dark abyss beyond my bed. Everything around me fades out and that's all I can focus on, just waiting for something to jump out.

And it does.

Another scream floods the room that's not just my own. A legless figure grabs a hold of both my ankles and pulls herself up using my body, exposing her rotting stumps.

I'm screaming until my voice box bursts. I'm frozen as Jessabelle climbs over me, the feeling of her torn flesh rubbing against my thighs. I can't move my body. I'm paralysed and forced to stare into the ice blue eyes of a girl I left behind to die the worst way possible. She has her mouth wide open as she inches closer to my face, her screams blending in with my own.

And then there's a sharp jab on the left side of my chest, where my heart is located. The pain causes me to finally be released from my paralysed state and I throw myself into the bed, covering my face in the blanket.

"Skye! Skye! Stop!" I hear but I'm too afraid to look up. I scream into the fabric, clutching it for dear life, my body twisting into contortions.

"It's me! It's just me!"

"No!" I scream loudly, dragging out the word.

"Look at me! Look at me!" I only become louder when I feel hands on the back of my shoulders.

"What the hell is going on in here?!" Evelyn storms into the room, but I don't stop.

"No! No!"

"What is she- Skye!" I hear Tris' voice but I'm still afraid to look incase it's my mind playing tricks on me again. It already fooled me well when I thought I woke up next to Eric sleeping peacefully.

My body is forcefully lifted from the bed and instead placed on something harder. I know it's Eric but he isn't comforting me as much as he wants to. Nothing can comfort me right now. I'm out of my body, letting it react how it likes without myself there to try and tame it even a little bit.