4| Hang

4| Hang

I back up, almost falling off the platform. Jack's hand forms a fist. I feel a sharp pain on my left cheek. The impact is strong enough to knock me down with a thud. Jack straddles me as I thrash around, but Jack is too heavy and doesn't budge.

He punches, and I move my head out of the way. But it's no use, as he continues to send punches into my face. The pain is beginning to numb now, and I feel my nose run but I know it's blood. I manage to free one of my arms. With all the strength inside me, I send my balled up fist into the side of Jack's head, causing him to loose balance and fall off me.

As he clutches his head, moaning in pain, I crawl away from him. When I am on the other side of the platform, I stand up on my shaky legs. I run towards Jack and kick him in the ribs. He groans, and I go in for another kick only to have my foot grabbed a hold of and I tumble down next to him. I hit my head hard on the cement floor.

My vision blurs, and I blink away a few tears. I feel something trickling down the side of my head. Jack gets up on his feet and before he can send his foot against my body, I say something I deeply regret.

"Stop!" Jack puts his foot back down and backs away, his hand over the side of his head where I used all my energy to hurt him. "I'm-I'm done." I cough. I taste blood in my mouth.

Eric gets up on the platform, hovering over me. I swallow the blood. "I'm sorry, what did you say? You're done?" I can tell he is not impressed, but I could care less right now. I knew I wouldn't have been able to keep going, I could barely see properly.

I nod, getting up onto my knees. I wipe my face, smearing the blood along the side. "Come with me." He puts out a hand for me to grab. I stare at it, not knowing if it was a trick or not. Slowly, I extend my hand over to it and he pulls me up as if I am as light as a feather.

"Everyone else, keep training!" He yells, making me flinch. The initiates scurry off.

>>>

I hear the river in my ear and I know where we are going. The Pit. When we get there, it is completely empty.

I feel his hard hand land gently on the small of my back, and I am completely confused. "How are you feeling?" He asks, his voice soft.

"Better," I lie. Suddenly, Eric pushes me over the railing. I feel myself falling for a second, before my body is being held up. I look down at the jagged rocks. I imagine falling on them, breaking every single bone in my body. I look up at Eric, who is leaning over the railing, holding my wrist tightly.

I scream, my body swinging slightly."Hold on," He says, but I don't. I feel his grip loosening and my body slipping down. "Or not." He shrugs, and before he can let go completely, I grab onto the railing.

My body feels heavy and my fingers burn. "Why are you doing this?" I cry, tears falling from my eyes. They sting. This is the first time I've cried since crying myself to sleep last night, thinking about the Choosing ceremony.

"If you can hang over the chasm for five minutes, I will forget your cowardice. If not, you will be out." My whole arm is burning. I look down again, and this time, consider letting go, because dying seems like a better option than becoming factionless.

I look back up and my knuckles are white. After two minutes, my arms begin to shake and I feel heavier and heavier. The water sprays my back and my hands, making them lose their grip. I scream out as I feel my hands sliding off, but my fingertips keep holding on.

I keep my stare on Eric, who's green eyes are piercing into mine. How would he feel if I fell? Would he feel guilty?

One minute to go. I was starting to think that I was going to make it A huge spray of water coats my body, making my fingers slip. I am nearly falling, but I manage to grab onto a dry patch of metal.