27| Strength

27| Strength

I haven't been so scared for my life in a long time. They were so close to us, and it was nearly impossible for their bullets to miss us, but somehow they were. They chased us on vehicles while we ran on our feet like animals running away from hunters.

Once I had recovered, I let go of Eric and ran by myself, Eric doing the same. I'm exhausted but I have to keep running or I'll die.

"Go! Go!" Eric yells, turning around to face me and practically pushing me towards the treeline. I nearly trip over but quickly recover, glancing behind me at Eric. He's on all fours staring at the ground, his expression showing pain.

I come to an halt, glancing at the others still running in the distance, completely oblivious to us. My heart in my throat, I gather up the strength and courage to run back towards Eric, a bullet barely missing my ear. I scream and crouch down, my hands over my head. The bushes at the start of the treeline help conceal us a little bit.

I put my hands over Eric as if to shield him from the raining bullets, my face near his neck.

"What's happening!?" I ask frantically.

I can hear the pain in his voice as he responds. "My leg. They shot my leg."

I turn my head over my shoulder and see them now getting off their vehicles, preparing to chase us by foot. There was no way that the vehicles would fit between the tree trunks in these woods.

I pull Eric's arm over my shoulders and stand up, forcing Eric to stand up as well. I practically drag him as we run, wheezing in pain from his weight against my smaller body. Eric tries his best, though, but he lets out grunts in pain every time he takes a few steps.

Judging by his usual demeanor appearing to no longer exist, I know that this isn't a regular gunshot wound. This was much more, and it was enough to cause Eric, who usually wouldn't let an injury like this affect him too much, nearly cry.

The ground becomes soft under our shoes, indicating we were now running on leaves. I can barely see Tris and the others in the distance, and my legs feel like they can give way at any moment.

And they do. I scream as Eric and I go flying to the ground, me landing a further distance ahead of him. I quickly roll back onto my feet and turn around. Eric's clutching his leg, appearing to hold in a scream. I look above him and see black uniforms breaking through nature. Panic is overtaking my body and I burst into tears.

"Eric! Come on!" I beg, trying to pull him up myself. Eric can't get up. Every time he tries, he collapses again.

"Go, Skye! Just go!" Eric yells, all his pain and frustration evident in his voice.

"No!" I yell back, tears streaming down my face. I know I said I wasn't going to cry no more, but I was so scared. I didn't want Eric to die in that moment. Just the thought of losing him would be enough to kill me. I love Eric more than anyone in my entire life, even if he doesn't feel the same way.

I fully collapse down in front of him and grab the sides of his face, forcing him to look up to me. At first he doesn't look into my eyes, but when he does, everything around us pauses.

"For me."

Eric begins to breathe heavily out his nose, as if gathering enough strength to push through the pain. I stand up and grab his arm, helping him up. A bullet lodges itself into the tree trunk next to me and it's enough to trigger adrenaline through Eric.

Now Eric's the one dragging me as we continue running through the woods. I can barely see properly through my tears but I let Eric lead the way, his hand clutching mine.