22| Change

22| Change

Hurt flashes across his face, well what I assume is hate. Maybe I'm just imagining it, but I swear there was something in his eyes. Something that changed.

Eric slowly steps back from me, his eyes never leaving mine. I stay on the floor, not sure if it's safe to move yet. Eric runs his hands down his face, wiping the blood away. He walks over to the gun laying just a bit more than an arms reach away from me, and kicks it so it slides towards me. I grab it but give him a confused look. Did he purposely hand me the gun?

Eric pulls his own gun out and lifts it to aim. I scramble to my feet, unsure of what to do. I watch as Eric points the gun at Four's back and before I can scream no, a gunshot erupts through the whole room.

Four collapses, stifling groans as he holds his shot thigh. Tris is in complete shock, staring at Eric, before dropping down onto her knees in front of Four. The pain must have snapped him out of Jeanine's control. I didn't know whether to thank Eric or not.

Jeanine stands with her partners, looking absolutely terrified. She was now weak without Four under her control and Eric on her side. She backs away slowly towards where all her equipment is, and where the walls are brightly lit with white paint and tiles.

It was reliving to know that Eric was the only one here that was supposed to be protecting Jeanine, because if there were other guards around we'd be dead meat.

"Eric!" Jeanine exclaims in fear and shock as she hastily backs away from Eric who was teasingly edging closer to her. Jeanine's back hits the screen that showed Dauntless about to execute Abnegation. "Eric, we had a deal."

"The deals off, Jeanine." Eric still holds a strong and leading voice. He never lost it. He looks at Jeanine as if she was just another initiate even though she was more powerful than he was.

My heart beats fast with all the events going on and my hands tremble. I blink slowly, my vision blurring but now was not the time to faint.

Jeanine quickly turns around and begins tapping on the screen, making the Dauntless press their guns against screaming Abnegation's heads.

I draw my gun up to aim at Jeanine, but pull it away when I see a knife stab straight through her right hand, holding it in place. Jeanine gasps before stifling a cry, and presses her forehead against the screen in defeat.

Tris, anger boiling through her, stomps past me and I watch as she pulls the knife out of Jeanine's hand, releasing her. Jeanine turns to face Tris but Tris acts quick and presses the now-bloody knife against Jeanine's neck.

I hear someone call out from behind me. I turn around and am met with a fist straight into my nose, causing me to collapse on the ground and let out a strangled cry. An Erudite towers over me as more and more of them enter the building.

The Erudite attacking me grabs my neck and squeezes, before lifting me up and smashing me back into the concrete. Choking, I lift my knee up and hit him in the stomach twice, causing his grip around me to loosen. I bring my hands up and dig my thumbs into both his eyes, and he screams bloody murder and backs away. I roll over to grab my gun that had fell away from me before scrambling to my feet. Gunshots sound all around me, and I hope that Four, Eric and Tris are okay. I know that they are fighting but I don't know who is winning.

The Erudite man recovers from my assault and looks up to see me with the gun pointed at him. He is panting and his eyes are bloodshot. He looks at me as if to say 'do it', but for some reason I can't get myself to pull the trigger.

I feel something warm and wet trickle down my lips and drip off my chin, and I know it's from my nose. I glance over at Eric and to my relief, he fights all the Erudites flawlessly. Even Four, who is still on the ground from his leg, somehow manages to not get killed.