36| Fade

36| Fade

When I wake up in the morning, I feel fine. That is, until I remember the events of last night. Then my chest feels heavy with guilt.

I spread my arm out, hoping to feel Eric's body. Instead, I feel a pile of messy sheets.

I sit up, rubbing my eyes. I'm not too worried about Eric waking up early, but I was hoping that he would be here when I woke up so that I could try and see how we still were as a couple.

The way he had reacted was nothing like I had expected. Normally, people would be grateful for them to act that way, but in Eric's case, it wasn't a good thing.

He should of been mad. He should of at least yelled at me, but instead he smiled and kissed me. It wasn't a sweet kiss. It was a forced kiss. I don't know if he's pretending or not, but I wish he wouldn't.

I get out of bed and walk out of the bedroom, brushing my hair out with my fingers. The candlelights make me squint as I make my way towards the dining area.

There, I walk in on Tris and Four, sat at the dining table looking miserable.

I pause at the entrance, confused as to why they look so glum.

When they look up and notice me, Tris immediately rises to her feet, walking around the table to get to me.

"Skye-"

"What's going on?" I ask, taking a step back. Tris stops near me, her eyebrows drawn close. I glance at Four who looks sympathetic.

My heart starts beating fast. I'm trying not to think of the worst possibilities.

"What? Where's Eric?"

Four rests his elbows against the table, his fists drawn close to his mouth. His dark eyes avoid mine, and they look down at the wood.

As I speak again, the panic is evident in my voice. "If you don't tell me right now-"

"He's gone."

>>>

"Keep a close eye on her, okay?" I hear Four tell Tris. My hearing must be excellent or Four is just bad at whispering. Either way, I find it hilarious.

"I'm fine." I giggle, looking up at the two as if I was intoxicated.

Tris and Four give each other wary looks, not believing a word I was saying.

"I'm fine." I repeat, repeatedly bouncing my leg up and down to remind myself that I'm still alive.

Tris slowly takes a seat beside me, pulling the chair closer so that we are face to face.

"Are you sure?" She asks, her hand clasped over mine.

"Yes. I don't know how, but I am. I feel normal." I say truthfully.

Tris doesn't respond. She squeezes my hand. I muster a smile.

"Can... Can you tell me what happened?" I ask, my voice shaking.

Tris bites her bottom lip, glancing at her boyfriend that would never leave her. Four shrugs.

"Okay, well... He came down this morning and announced that he was leaving. I don't know where or why, but he took a gun with him." As she speaks, I try to envision the scene. I imagine him appearing to them completely nonchalant, not a care or regret in the world.

I look down at my hands that are forming a fist without me knowing.

Tris notices, and moves her hand to my shoulder.

"How about we get you cleaned up?" Tris suggests and I nod, standing up. I feel weak but it's most likely from the shock because a few minutes ago I felt healthy.

Tris leads me to dark room that contains a bathtub and a bucket. She fills the tub with water, occasionally looking my way.

"I can do this myself." I mutter, avoiding eye contact.

"Skye, I don't think you should be alone right now." She tells me.

"I can do this myself." I say again, this time my voice becoming harder.

Tris isn't fazed by me and keeps getting the tub ready. I let out a sigh and start to remove my clothing. It's too dark to be able to see anything but my silhouette.

I lower myself into the water. It's cold but feels good against my overheated skin. It reminds me of the lake where Eric took me a few nights ago, where we had sex. Where he made me feel like he truly loved me and would never leave me behind ever again.

I don't cry.

Tris pours water over my head as I cradle my knees.

"I give up. I give up on him." I whisper.

Tris massages my scalp, trying to relax me.

"He was never capable of loving anyone, Skye." Tris says sympathetically.

I nod, taking a shaky breath in. "I know. I know. But I still love him." How could I not? After all we had been through, I couldn't fall out of love with him. But I could accept that he was gone.

A/N

I think this is the shortest chapter I have ever written, but that's because I've been so busy lately with preparing for my final year of school which starts in three days (stacks of homework that I MUST do as it's time to get serious). I'll try my best to update while studying but please don't think that I've abandoned the story if I haven't updated in a while.

Fi xx