9| Control

9| Control

I didn't sleep at all last night. I lay awake in Eric's bed, staring into the darkness and listening to the soft breathing coming from him. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't let myself slip into a slumber. Too much on my mind, I guess.

So as soon as the sun came up, I immediately hopped out of bed, even though Dauntless still had a couple of more hours to sleep. I tried my best to make my footsteps as silent as possible, but my bare feet were sticky against the cold wooden boards.

I noticed my clothes on the couch, so I walked over to them and slipped off my shirt. I turn my head and noticed Eric was still asleep with his back facing me, so I slipped off my shorts as well. I quickly pulled on the black tank top, jacket and tight pants.

I went to the bathroom, that was much nicer than the one in the dormitory. I peered through the mirror at my terrible reflection. My hair was a messy knot on the side of my head from the lack of care I have been giving it. It takes me a while, but I finally manage to unravel them with my fingers, leaving my hair cascading down my back.

My eyes are swollen from all the crying I have been doing, and they burn every time I shut them. I splash my face and rinse my mouth out with the cold water.

When I walk out the door, back into the open space, Eric is sitting up on the edge of his bed, pulling on his boots. His hair is swiped in all different directions. I hate to admit, but he still looks good. Eric was an attractive person, no one could deny that. His amazing body, tight with muscles, his blonde hair and his mysterious green eyes. But on the inside, Eric could be a horrible person most of the time.

"You done in there?" He asks, his voice gruff. I nod, stepping out of the way as he walks over to the bathroom.

"I uh, better be leaving then." I say, my voice as soft as a mouse. Just before Eric enters the bathroom, he stops.

"Hold on, Skye." He says. I stop walking. "You can stay here tonight again, if you feel like you're not ready to go back just yet." Then he does something surprising. He smiles. A genuine smile. I smile back.

"Thanks."

He drops his smile, and this time, it is replaced with the same, placid expression he wears most of the time.

"Training starts in an hour. Don't miss it." He says, pushing the door open. I frown. Why is it that one minute he is nice, and the next he's not anymore? I am beginning to get sick and tired of it.

I let out a deep breathe in annoyance and walk out the door.

>>>

When I arrive at breakfast, all eyes are on me. I hear whispering, and if I listen closely, I can make out what they are saying. "The death of Amber must be very hard on her." "Did you hear her scream yesterday?"

"I wonder how she will cope at training, she is already about to fail." That specific comment came from the table next to the one I usually sat at. It came from Jacob, who was smirking at me, along with his little army. I glare at him as I drop down onto the chair, opposite of Brendon.

Brendon looked like he hadn't slept in years. His face was unusually pale, and dark rings circled his eyes. I knew he wasn't handling Amber's death very well. Him and Amber were very close. They had known each other since they were children, and there is no doubt that Brendon had developed feelings for her.

"Hey," I say, giving him a small sympathetic smile. Brendon looks up from his untouched food, and when he makes eye contact with me, I shiver. You can see the sadness in his eyes.

"I can't believe she's gone." Is the only reply I get. I watch him run his hand through his hair multiple times.

I reach his hand and hold it, running my thumb across the skin in a comforting way. He doesn't pull away, he lets me hold it.

"Brendon, there is nothing we can do about it. She's gone, and so we have to move on. That's what she would have wanted." I say, even though it's easier said than done.

He shakes his head. "I never got the chance to tell her that I loved her."

>>>

We spend the rest of the day loading supplies onto a truck with the Amity. As I stand on the back of a truck, catching the big, black bags being thrown at me, I can feel the people of Amity looking at me while shaking their heads and whispering to one another. I know that they are talking about to the fact that I chose to leave my life of peace, hard work, and kindness to join a place of violence, pain and ruthlessness.

In the distance, something catches my eye. Behind the pile of crates, through a tiny little gap between the wood, I see a light flickering. I feel the curiosity get the best of me as I drop the bag and jump off the truck, my eyes never leaving the light.

When I reach the source of the light, happiness runs through my body. "Mom?" I whisper, throwing my arms around my mother who had been using her necklace to create a light. I feel my mothers grip tighten around me.

"My darling girl, let me see you." She pulls back and looks me up and down, tears forming in her eyes.

"Mom, what are you doing here?" I whisper, remembering that we were not safe to be talking with Dauntless around.

"I knew that Dauntless would be here so I volunteered to help." My mothers eyes dart from me to behind us. "I need to tell you something." Her cold hands meet mine. "Anthony is still alive."

"What?" My happiness is replaced my relief, then fear.

"He came back to Amity, and left again. I don't know where he is now, he could be anywhere. I just want you to be careful, he's not the same person anymore."

Suddenly, gunshots are heard, along with the screams of fear. My mother and I immediately drop down onto our knees. "What's going on-" My voice is cut off as I hear another gunshot, except this time it is right near us. My mother completely collapses to the floor, and I can now clearly see the person behind the gun.

Anthony.