A Small Rant

Okay, so get this. There is this huge debate about weather marching band is a sport. I have heard only one valid argument that made me, for one second, think that it wasn't. That argument was that marching band is an art, and sports aren't arts. I find myself unable to argue that point. That is the only thing that should be even considered a valid argument. One of my favorite arguments, coming from clearly ignorant people, is the following:

Them- "Is walking a sport?"
Me- "No."
"Is band a sport?"
"No."
"Then how is marching band a sport?"
Me- mental face palm.

You see my problem is not weather it is or isn't a sport. My problem is who is saying it isn't and the reasons they are giving. I can see why the football team says it, and the other teams, but it's the people involved in nothing athletic whatsoever that are making the claim that marching band isn't a sport. The same ones who think that dance and cheerleading are sports, but marching band isn't. Those are the people who drive me crazy. Let's be honest, anyone who has been to a marching band rehearsal, is close with someone in marching band, or a band family member would definitely agree that marching band is very athletic, and is more time consuming than some sports. I have noticed though that our football team does approximately the same hours as we do, and we are better at what we do. We both compete, but to be fair to the football players, we don't have big, strong, buff high school guys trying to tackle us while we are playing/marching. And no, the judges that stand in your way on purpose don't count.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this little rant, and I can probably assume that a good portion of you people that are reading this will have some different opinions. I would love to hear those in the comment section. I also hope that some of you agree with me. In my overall opinion I would say that it isn't right to dis on either the sports teams, or the marching band. Even though I did previously say that the marching band was better at what they do than the football team is. I was saying that we have one of the worst football teams in the district. That's actually a fact not an opinion, because last year we won our homecoming game, and maybe one more. Meanwhile the marching band got second at state. That's kind of stereotypical for a marching band meme now isn't it? Anyway enough of this rant, and don't dis on anyone! We are all athletes, so just give the argument a rest. Just stop trying to make the band kids angry when you say that marching band isn't a sport, because you know it will.