Auditions

It's come time for me to audition one finial time for high school band. Going into my senior year I really want to get into the top band, and so does everyone else. There are 52 trumpets signed up to take the audition next year, so I'm pretty stressed out. Especially due to previous experiences.

Freshman year auditioning for sophomore year I went to the school 1  hour before I was signed up. I was called in immediately. I didn't have a chance to warm up and I was completely freaked out. Basically I didn't do too well.

A friend of mine also my age was in the Symphonic band our freshman year but dropped down to our Concert 1 band. (We have 4 bands Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, Concert Band 1, and Concert Band 2.) This happened because she split her lip right before they forced her in. She was out about to get some water when they told her she had to go right that second. Let's just say she quit trumpet and started on French horn.

Last year, my sophomore going to junior, I auditioned for jazz band for the first time. The Judge showed up hours late, but we had to stay and wait because we didn't know when he'd show up. So I had my concert audition at around 6pm, and was gonna have Jazz at 7pm. But because he was late I was at the school from 5pm-10:30pm.

I would tell the story about my 8th grade audition, but I don't really remember much.

Every year in the trumpet section alone there is at least one freshman that's good enough to make the top band. That's what gives me the most anxiety. I don't know who my 8th grade competition is.

*****
A note from today:

I wrote this Feb 27th and forgot to post it. I did better than I thought I would and also worse in ways. But I mean I was aiming for perfection, so my audition obviously could have been better. Yet I would say that my placement is accurate based off of how I typically play. Now I don't have to stress about anything until we redo chair placements in the fall. Basically you work yourself up, but it always ends up alright. All that matters is that you have fun.