Chapter 39 - New York

The black metal grille of the old lift slammed shut. Its peacocks seemed to peer at Elizabeth pacing around the small enclosure like a caged temple cat. Tendrils of hair had escaped from her dramatic beehive, framing her heart-shaped face.

She burst from the lift and paused, taking a moment to gently push the apartment door open, heels in hand.

"Darling, you're home." Stefan sounded delighted. "Max is already in bed. Sneak in and give him a kiss."

"In a minute." Elizabeth stared at him. She loved this man so much. How could she have taken his first born from him? Told him so many lies? Sometimes she thought BastBula asked too much but was it the Goddess or Sanctuary asking? Had she been blind all these years?

Stefan strode over to her and wrapped his long arms around her. "Darling, what is it? What's wrong?"

Elizabeth fixed a shy smile on her face and steered him towards his favourite old leather wingback chair. She looked up at him from under her lashes. "I have the most amazing, thrilling and frightening news."

"You're pregnant!"

Elizabeth almost laughed. Definitely not, she'd made sure of that.

"Even better. I found her Stefan. I found our daughter."

He collapsed into the chair and listened to Elizabeth's carefully constructed story.

"She arrives tomorrow. With her two cats," she finished.

***That's it - the end! Thank you for reading and if you liked it, let me know.
The next book in the Age of the Dragon series is about forbidden love and reciprocated desire.***