Glossary

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

This is a work in progress that I will update periodically.
As you know if you have reached this point, the Isle of BastBula is quite the feminist conundrum. If there is anything you would particularly like me to clarify, pop it in the comments section and I'll make sure to do so.
Where else can you interrogate an author like this?
Go on, make my day :-).

BastBula – triple headed goddess

Benediction: A gruelling challenge every Earth Year has to complete if they want to return to their home world or advance to Fire Year. The only directive is that they must survive and make it back to Sanctuary but the Isle is bewitched to set a series of obstacles in their path. Every area of their schooling is tested, from magic to swimming and warfare.

Clutch - a group of five

(A) cycle – a period of time, probably approximating a year

Dolketian - A sentient half-dolphin, half-human creature that can take the form of either although when in the water they prefer a hybrid (think a mermaid with the tail of a dolphin). They are fierce nomadic warriors whose homeworld is on Rygon.

(The) Fist: a prophetic clutch that will change the sacred isle forever

(The) Mecca: An underground hothouse and gardens set up for mealtimes. Settings change according to the seasons and are an opportunity for acolytes to practice deportment and sample cuisine from different worlds.

(One) moon – approximately one month

The Principal – the Triumvirate of leaders that run the isle

Sanctari - Those born underground, in the coven of Sanctuary, on the Isle of BastBula. Their eyes are photo-sensitive, skin pale and they worship the Goddess fervently. Only a few are born per cycle and they are raised together as hive babies, not knowing which priestess is their mother. Not much is known about them.

(A) quarter - the equivalent of a week