8. Welcome to the hornets' nest

When they were above the Atlantic Ocean, Marco put the plane on autopilot and with both girls stocked all of the equipment where it belonged.
"Alice, it's for you," Marco frowned, pointing at one of the boxes.
Girl went over and squatted down to it. Man was right - on the bottom left corner of the lid was written her name. As she touched the clips, her fingerprints were scanned and she was able to open it.
"Tony," she muttered, rolling her eyes.
"I guess it's important," Caro chuckled, putting the first aid kit and other medical supplies in a cupboard.
Alice lifted up the lid a bit, and closed it as got a glimpse of its content - Tony as always has showed how well he knew his friend. Girl decided to take a better look at it while being alone.
"What's in there?" Marco asked, dusting himself off.
"Just some stuff," Alice evasively answered and sat in the seat, running her hand through her hair.
"Why you're here? I mean you were working with Barnes and now suddenly you're back in field," man sat in the opposite seat, crossing arms on his chest.
That also brought Caro's attention and she leaned against the wall.
"I explained everyhting in my report, so-"
"No, I want to hear it from you," man stated.
Girl turned her head to the right side, bitting her bottom lip. She understood that she'll have to work with Marco and Caro for months and they can successfully collaborate only when between them is complete trust. But she didn't want to trust them fully, but also knew that it's better to tell that herself, than make both of her colleagues to find out on their own. Alice deeply sighed and turned her gaze back to both of them.
"I realised that I'm not suitable for that job," she finally broke the silence.
"How?" Caro raised one eyebrow.
"I couldn't provide full safety. And that's all I'm gonna say," Alice sternly said, flicking her gaze between her colleagues with narrowed eyes.
And again there was this awkward silence. Marco raised his hands in deffense, understanding how stubborn girl is and took a tablet to read the rest of the information about their mission.
"I didn't want to be rude, and I know we're going to work together for a while, but I suggest that our personal lives are going to stay out of this mission. Just pure focus on the job," Alice lightly shrugged.
"I agree," Caro nodded.
"Me too," man looked up, nodding in approval.
"So, if you don't mind, I'm gonna take a nap," Alice sunk deeper in her seat, crossing her ankles and closed her eyes.
She felt relieved that her interrogation ended so quickly and hoped it won't happen again.
~~~
It was 6am when Steve got out of his bed to get ready for his morning run. He put on a pair of sweatpants, grey 'Under Armour' t-shirt and slipped on his running shoes. Quietly, to not to wake up Bucky, Steve went out of his room and went to the corridor. He squeled, jumping back and hitting a wall.
"Buck? Why you're up so early?" blond exhaled, walking towards his friend and clutching his chest.
"You sounded like a dame," Bucky let out a hoarse laugh.
He had curled in the armchair, waiting for Steve. Brunet knew the time his best friend woke up and went for a run. He never joined him, because he wanted to get some sleep, didn't feel comfortable out in public and didn't really like the sounds on streets. But now he had decided to make Alice and Steve proud of himself. Also he wanted to see if he truly can change the world and make it a better place as girl had told him.
"Never ever talk about that," Steve said to him, trying to hold back laughter.
"Lets go, punk," Bucky stood up smiling and elbowed blond's side.
"Jerk," Captain rolled his eyes, draping his arm over his best friend's shoulders.
~~~
"Alice, wake up. We're gonna land soon," Caro lightly shook her shoulder.
Alice frowned and slowly opened her grey eyes. She blinked for a few times to adjust to the brightness and straightened in her seat. Her neck was stiff and its left side hurt and her back as well. Girl rubbed her neck, stretching her aching muscles from the so uncomfortable sleeping position.
"Where we're supposed to meet our contact person?" Alice looked over at Caro, who was sitting in the seat opposite her and looking through the porthole.
"In a café," brunette answered.
Alice nodded and rubbed her eyes. It was the best sleep she had had lately. The nightmares had returned and few days ago, when girl was staying with Bucky, as Steve was on a mission, she woke up Bucky, who was having a good sleep without nightmares, what was something very rare, and Alice felt extremely guilty for that. Of course man asked about that, but girl evasively explained that it's just an experience from the field. But in reality it was the same all the time - the impact from both sides, screeching of the brakes, blood and glass everywhere, and distant screams.
She shook her head and turned her gaze to the porthole. They weren't flying so high anymore and beneath them was visible Marseille. The landing was smooth and there already was a car waiting for them in the hangar.
"Hello, I'm Noah. Sir is already waiting for you," man over his forties said with a French accent, motioning to the black SUV.
Agents got in it and noticed another man in the passenger's seat. He was younger than Alice, probably nearly 20, and they presumed he's a trainee.
The drive was about 30 minutes long and Noah stopped in front of 'Green Bear Coffee'. Caro raised her eyebrow, looking over at her fellow colleagues. The young man got out of the car and opened its back door to let the Agents out.
"Are you armed?" he quietly asked in with a slight hint on British accent.
"No," both girls answered in unison.
"Yes," Marco nodded.
"Please leave your weapons in the car," boy calmly said.
Girls looked over at their colleague.
"Why?" man frowned.
"I'm just doing my job. Please discreetly disarm yourself."
"Fine," Marco rolled his eyes and with a swift movement threw his gun in the backseat of the car.
"Follow me, please," young man lead them in the café, which was cozy.
He lead them to the furthest table, by which was sitting old man, around his sixties. As he spotted them walking to him, man stood up, setting down his cup of coffee. The young man went to him and whispered something in the oldest man's ear, to what he curtly nodded.
"Hello, I'm Luca," the old man introduced himself and Agents shook hands with him, saying their names.
He had grey hair, bright blue eyes, clean shaved and was dresed in a black suit, which was definitely tailored for him.
"So, you should get used to organic coffee and food. That's what you're gonna get, being with Antonio Leoni," he was speaking without an accent in pure English.
A waitress placed in front of them cups off black coffe. Alice added sugar for coffee, because if she ever drank it black, then only with sugar.
"Yeah, I read he love's his garden," Marco took a sip of his cup and burned tongue.
"So, lets begin. I don't have all day to sit here. Who's the leader from you?" Luca leaned back in his chair.
"I beg your pardon?" Alice frowned.
"You haven't distributed responsibilities yet?" old man arched his brows.
"No," Alice shook her head.
Luca opened a manila folder, which Noah handed him.
"Well then. Marco Agnelli - pilot, mechanic. That make's you to be in charge of vehichles and plane. Carolina Ragno - master combatant, skilled with different kind of weapons. Interesting, but that make's you to be in charge weapons and combat trainings. And then there's you - Alice Scott. Graduated SHIELD's academy on top of classes. Internship in 'Stark Industries', close with the Avengers, fluent in Italian, Russian, Arabic, French, Spanish, Chinese and German. I think that make's all of you clear. Any objections?" old man's bright blue orbs scanned Agents' faces.
There was a complete silence. Alice looked at her lap, bitting her bottom lip. Steve's words again echoed in her ears. From one resposibility to another. She didn't want to screw this up too. Being responsible of one person is different than of whole mission. Girl immediately thought about Bucky. How is he doing? Is he all right?
"I'll take as 'no'. So, there's your apartment's address and keys. There's a list of addreses you shoukd keep in mind. I made my workers to install safes in each bedroom. Of course there's a security sistem. There are some facts about me and your personalities, to make things more believable. These are the keys of the car. This is my private number if you have any questions or need anything. These are your credit cards and bank accounts. Don't burn down the house, not a scratch to my car and don't screw up. Now excuse me, I have a place to be. Good luck," Luca put manila folders and envelopes on the table and stood up, putting on his black fedora.
All three Agents stood up as well and waited for Luca to go away.
"So, shall we?" Marco raised one eyebrow, looking at Alice.
"Why you're asking me?" girl frowned.
"Because you're the boss here," man lightly shrugged, a small smile on his lips.
Both Caro and Marco weren't jealous of her. They actually werr satisfied that Luca distributed their responsibilities. It made a sistem in their work.
"I don't need special attention to that. I believe in democracy. And yes, lets go. We have to make it to a meeting with Leoni at 4pm," Alice rolled her eyes, grabbing folders and envelopes, and went out of the café with her colleagues.
The young man opened the back door of the black SUV. Once they were in, Marco put his gun back, behind his belt and under his shirt on his back. The drive seemed quicker than before.
"You're plane's tank is refilled. Good luck," Noah said and drove off.
The flight from Marseille to Rome was 1 hour and 15 minutes long. In the hangar, that was assigned for them, was waiting black BMW SUV with tinted windows.
"Hm, bullet proof. And the body as well," Caro quickly scanned the car.
"If this car is so expensive, I don't even want to know how look's the apartment," Alice sighed, putting her bags in the trunk and Tony's given box as well.
"Oh, thank God. There's GPS," Marco sighed in relief.
"What's the first stop?" Caro asked, getting in the backseat of the car.
"Via Alberto Cadlolo, Roma, 00100 - our apartment. Sounds expensive," Alice winced.
"Well, we'll see," man answered, writing the adress in the GPS.
The traffic wasn't too busy and in a bit more than 30 minutes, they had reached the address of their apartment. Marco found a free spot to park the car.
"I don't like this," Alice shook her head, getting out of the car.
She didn't like too expensive and splendid things. Alice was a simple girl and appreaciated simple things.
"Definitely a life goal," Caro stated, joining girl by the car.
"Look's nice," Marco opened the trunk and started to take out their bags.
"I hope there's an elevator," Alice huffed, taking her bags and following Caro inside the building with Marco on her heels.
"Ciao, come posso aiutarla? Aspettare, sei i figli di signore D'angelo?" concierge stood up. (Hello, how can I help you? Wait, are you the children of Mister D'Angelo?)
"Sì, stiamo cercando il nostro appartamento," Caro answered. (Yes, we're looking for our apartment.)
Concierge explained them where to go in Italian and Agents thanked him.
"Yes," Marco let a small happy dance, walking towards the elevator, making both girls laugh.
Agents got in it and Caro pressed their floor's number. In few seconds they reached their floor and went towards the door with their number. Alice unlocked the door and went in.
"Holly shit," girl whispered.
"No way," Caro dropped her bags and went in further, with dumbfounded Marco on her heels.
She took a look around the hall and went further, following her teammates, before putting down her bags and closing the door.
There were three bedrooms on the first floor. Agents went up to the second floor, but the winding stairs still didn't end so they kept going up. On the third floof of the penthouse was a pool. All of the floors were made of hardwood, walls were white. In the interior dominated brown and white colour.
"I didn't sign up for this," Alice muttered and went down to the second floor.
It was still too much for her, but girl was determined to stand all of this because it's part of her job. She went back to the first floor of their apartment and decided to take the furthest bedroom. It had a king size bed just like other bedrooms, en suite, an amazing view to Rome and huge windows. There was a closet, plasma TV, music center, desk, shelves, comfortable looking armchair and coffee table by one of the windows, a fluffy rug by the bed - and still there was an empty space.The room was too bright, so she closed the curtains and carried her bags there. Both Marco and Caro were still walking around the penthouse.
"Marco, do you have the car keys?" Alice shouted at the bottom of the stairs.
"Yeah, one second," he shouted and girl hear his footfall.
"Why you need them?" man frowned, walking down the stairs.
"I'll carry my box up here."
"Hey, I'll do it."
"I'm not that helpless," Alice rolled her eyes.
"I know," he smirked and went out.
"This is amazing," Caro ran down, but frowned, seeing that girl wasn't in an awe, "what's wrong?"
"Nothing. I picked my bedroom already," Alice went back up to the second floor, where was kitchen. With high hopes, she checked the fridge and found it full. She was hungry and was up to make some sandwiches.
"Where to place it?" Marco shouted.
"In the furthest bedroom, please," Alice responded, taking out different ingredients from the fridge for the food.
"I don't mind doing the cooking," Caro said, checking the cupboards and cabinets.
"Okay," girl nodded.
When they all had finished eating, they got in their car and began the 25 minute drive to the villa in Via Clara Francia Chauvet. None of them really payed attention to the lanscape, that was flying past them.
"Welcome to the hornets' nest," Alice sarcastically said, as they stopped in front of high, iron gates.