10. Difficulties

During Friday and weekend, Agents explored their neighbourhood and visited the adresses Luca told them to keep in mind. Alice went shopping to buy a dress and few other things. It was hard for her to find a dress she'd like, because one was too short, another was too tight and so on. In every dress girl found 'flaws'. After a while she finally found a dress which she actually liked and went back to the apartment, which she's gonna call her home for a while.
Girl made her way to the apartment and went in. She dropped the keys in the bowl where other keys were.
"Oh, it's you. I though someone had broken in," Marco exhaled, coming down the stairs and puting his pocket knife back behind his belt.
"What? Was I supposed to yell: 'Honey, I'm home!'?" Alice chuckled.
Man bursted in laughter and Caro as well, coming down the stairs.
"So, what dress did you buy?" brunette asked.
"Navy blue. Ugh, I'm starving," girl answered, going to her bedroom.
"Lasagna is in the owen already," Caro stretched her muscles and followed Marco up to the living room.
"Alice is pretty distant," Marco frowned, sitting on the couch.
"We've worked together for a few times and she has always been like that," Caro shrugged, taking her game control.
"But with Stark she wasn't like that."
"They're close. And now lets continue," Caro rolled her eyes and resumed their game.
Alice dropped her shopping bags on her bed and fell next to them face first. Her phone buzzed and groaning she pulled it out of her black jeans pocket.
'I will pick you up tomorrow at 11:30am. Christian'
Girl rolled her eyes and got up. She took out the dress and hung it in the closet and unpacked the rest of shopping bags. Then Alice took her duffle bag and put in it a towel, pair of jeans, clean tank top, sweatshirt, underwear, pyjamas, her small make-up bag and toiletries. The dress she decided to put there in the morning so it wouldn't wrinkle too bad.
Girl went over to the huge windows and partly opened the curtains to let in some light. Alice already missed the New York with its skyscrapers and busy streets, where you can get lost in the crowd, where no one cares about you and for a moment you feel small and invisible. New York has been her home her whole life and now, being away on the other side of world, she felt homesick for the first time. So far the longest mission girl has been on is two weeks.
Girl had to admit that Rome is beautiful, saturated with history and power. The contrast between NYC and Rome was incredible. These cities were different in so many ways, that Alice almost felt like in another realm. If people in her home city were always busy, on their phones and running around with serious faces, then here in Rome people seemed more relaxed and happy. Maybe it was sun and the warm climate that influenced people mood?
Alice shook her head and opened the window to let in some fresh air and curled in the armchair like a cat. She didn't want to mope around, but the depression seemed to return. Girl had been suffering from it since she woke up from coma and found out, that her parents are dead and her grandparents turned their backs to her, and her boyfriend left because he couldn't bear how she had locked in herself.
The beginning was the hardest for Alice - thoughts about suicide were more often than about anything else. Endless studies kept her on the track and when 'Stark Industries' offered her an internship in the day she had decided to end her life, Alice took that as a sign that she can't ever give up. Girl told Tony that he literally saved her life only last year. Man had no clue about her depression that sometimes returned, triggered by anxiety or if something went wrong in a mission. Tony also knew about her suicide attempt at the hospital, so since that, he regulary checked up on her to make sure Alice is fine and if she wasn't, he then dropped everything to spend time with her and make her feel better. Genius was the only one who knew that and girl was extremely thankful, that he can keep his mouth shut.
~~~
Alice woke up with the help of her alarm at 10am. She took a long shower and started to get ready. Girl got dressed in a pair of black jeans and simple blue t-shirt. She finished packing her bag, blow-dryed and gathered in a messy ponytail her hair. Alice still really wasn't used to this time zone and felt tired, even though she had a fairly good sleep. Last night girl texted Tony, that she's going to Russia. Man, of course, became worried, but she assured him, that she can take care of herself.
That morning Alice made breakfast as she was the first one who woke up. No, there wasn't a rule about 'who cooks the breakfast'. She cooked bacon and eggs - her usual. Drowsy Caro stumped up to the second floor of their penthouse.
"Time difference is killing me," she sighed, taking her coffee mug.
"It's not that bad," Alice shrugged, putting food on the plates.
Then also Marco appeared on the top of the stairs. He wasn't so sleepy, but tired anyway. Agents had their breakfast, having a casual talk. Man offered to wash the dishes.
"So, are you bringing a gun or pocket knife too?" Caro raised one eyebrow.
"I don't know, but I've been thinking about it," Alice shrugged.
"I think they'll be armed to their teeth, so one gun from your side will be just a spit in the ocean," Marco waved his hand and kept washing the dishes.
"Hm, okay," girl hopped off the counter she was sitting on and went towards the stairs.
Alice went to her room and took one of the 'Glock 17 Gen4' and another clip just in case. Girl was learning from her mistake - to not be prepeared to maximum. Then she decided to change in a white t-shirt and over it black blazer, to better hide her gun, and slipped on black flats. In her opinion she looked presentable and went out of her room, carrying the duffle bag along. It was nearly 11:30pm and there already was a knock on the door. Rolling her eyes, girl opened the door.
"Hi," Christian flashed a smile.
"Hi, um, come in. I'm just gonna say 'bye' to Marco and Caro," Alice forced a smile, closing the door behind the man.
"Sure," he nodded.
Girl ran up the stairs to the second floor and quickly hugged both Agents.
"Stay safe," Marco whispered.
"Of course," girl chuckled and went back down.
"So, ready?" Christian raised one eyebrow.
"Yeah," Alice nodded and took her bag.
"Allow me."
"It's not that heavy."
"I insist," man took it from her and held the door open for Alice.
She rolled her eyes and went out, on the way grabbing her keys. The drive to the airport went in silence. Girl was all the time looking out of the window and admiring Rome. But the flight wasn't so silent. Christian took that as an opportunity to get to know Alice. She got the hint that he was interested in her and assured herself that she is just doing her job and has to play along. Alice never liked to play with someone's feelings, but her work involved this too.
"You should take this," Christian handed her 'Glock 37 Gen4'.
"I have my own," girl put it back on the table and took her bag, and pulled out her gun.
"Also 'Glock'," man laughed.
"It has never disappointed me," she shrugged.
"Which model is it?" Christian pointed at it.
"'Glock 17 Gen4'," Alice passed him the weapon.
"It's a bit lighter but looks identical."
"Yeah, and it's also kinda universal and has 19 bullets instead of 10 like this one."
"Honestly, I've valued you too low."
"Just because I'm a girl?" she raised her eyebrow.
"No, just for someone so unexperienced you're prepared well."
"Well, I'll take that as a compliment."
"A girl like you deserves to be complimented."
"Signore, ci accingiamo a sbarcare in dieci minuti," one of Christian's bodyguards informed him. (Sir, we're going to land in ten minutes.)
"Tutto ok, grazie," man nodded and his subaltern went away. (All right, thank you.)
"Okay, it' not like I don't trust my partners, but I want you to eavesdrop their coversations. I want to know what they're talking about. I want to know as much as possible. I hope you can do that," man ran his hand through his brown hair.
"No problem," Alice nodded.
It couldn't be more difficult than her usual job.
"So, at first we're gonna stop at the hotel and leave our stuff there and then we're going to Alexey's apartment, where the meeting will be held," Christian instructed.
"Okay," girl nodded again.
He had read Alexey's file and knew what he's up to. No one had enough evidence to put him behind bars and that all thanks to his contacts and spies in authorities. And also HYDRA always takes care of their 'partners' so that's another reason for lack of evidence and witnesses.
Alice had never been in Moscow before, so she took the opportunity to take a look the city during the drive. It was old, but had different aura, the weather was different and it looked different. Girl couldn't understand yet if she liked Moscow or not.
In the hotel girl found out that they're staying at luxus apartment. That meant that there were two separate bedrooms, common living and dining room. Alice dropped her bag on the bed and took out the dress from it. Then she put her gun behind her jeans on her back, under the t-shirt and blazer. The metal was cool against her skin and reminded her of Bucky's bionic arm. She lightly shook her head and put the other clip in behind the waistband of her jeans as well. Alice went to the window and looked at Moscow, wondering if Bucky has ever seen city's beauty for at least few seconds or just did was he was told to do.
"Nice view, right?" Christian asked, slowly walking towards her.
"Yeah," she nodded, not taking her eyes off the city.
Man found girl attractive. He liked that she was mostly serious, but even more he liked her smile. Alice was smart, sarcastic and also kind. He was feeling like a moth to the fire next to her, so man took every chance to be next to her. Christian found her distancing as an obstacle, but that didn't make him to like her less. He even felt like girl could tame him - the bachelor, womanizer.
"We should go. Did you take everything?" man turned his body to her.
"Yeah, but won't they search us?" Alice frowned looking at him.
"They know me," Christian shrugged and motioned for girl to go.
Man's confidence calmed her a bit. She definitely looked like a beginner, but that was just a bonus. During the drive, man told a bit to Alice about the people who will be at the meeting. She acted like it was something unknown to her, but most of the information wasn't anything new to her.
"Can I ask you a personal question?" Christian turned in his seat, giving his full attention to the girl.
"Well, you can try," Alice smiled.
"Do you have a boyfriend?"
"No."
"But there's someone, right?" he had a playful smirk on his lips.
"Okay, this is getting too personal," girl laughed.
She wanted to say 'yes', but part of her tried to deny her feelings for Bucky. And again guilt washed over her, but girl kept smiling despite the pain in her chest. Alice was feeling devasted and she knew that this isn't something she'll forgive herself.
But Christian on the other hand took that girl was interested him. Little did he know that it wasn't mutual. He was used to getting girls easy, but Alice was a harder cookie for him. But man wasn't from those who give up at the first difficulties. Christian was ready to take down any obstacle just to get to her closer.

-------A/N-------

School and other activities are up now. I have a lot of homework already and I have started to work out again, so I think that explains a lot. I'm not organises enough to create a schedule for updates, but I'll do my best to update regulary.
Thanks for your patience and support,
~Undi