20. On the edge

"Merry Christmas, Ali!" Bucky kissed her forehead and sat on the plastic chair next to her bed.
There hadn't been a day when he wasn't with her. The bruises were fading and she was healing, but no other improvements.
"God, I wish you could see the city now with all the lights, snow, Christmas trees and other stuff. It's so beautiful. We could push Steve in the snow and make Tony's suits look like Christmas decorations... I miss you so much. We all do, actually... I um, I got you something," Bucky put the wrapped gift on the bedside table.
"Tony is making everyone to wear alike sweaters. They're not that bad, but it won't be the same without you," he took her hand and brushed her knuckles with his thumb.
They all were back in New York and Alice was still being guarded, but there by SHIELD.
~~~
"Hi, Ali!" Bucky pressed a light kiss to her forehead and sat next to her bed, "I'm back from a mission. It went well, actually."
Alice had been in coma for five months now. There hadn't been a day when none of the Avengers hadn't visited her unless they were on a misson. Mostly it was Bucky who was with her. If he couldn't be there with Alice, he made sure someone was.
Brunet told her what was happening in world, about sports, movies, music or even read for her or just told some random things. SHIELD had found the rest of Leoni's family and they were sill waiting for the court as the evidence was being still collected. Lawyers were prognosing that Christian's judgement won't be as hard as his father's.
"And I'm saying - she's gonna get a couple of Grammy's. That song is amazing and all of the album as well. Oh, and remember when I told you about that tv show? I finished the fifth season on the way back. I want to see the rest of it as soon as I can," Bucky was holding Alice's hand just like he always did.
Just holding her hand gave him more hope that she's gonna be fine. It was like back then, when girl took him to the store and he was like glued to her. Alice's presence calmed him. But Bucky terribly missed to hear her voice and laugh. To see her beautiful eyes and hug her tightly. He wanted to do nothing but just cuddle on the couch with her and watch some movies. Yes, her wounds had healed perfectly but the ache in Bucky's heart never left.
Suddenly he felt a movement. He looked at Alice's hand he had been holding and felt her lightly gripping his hand again.
"Oh my God, Ali! Wait, I'm just gonna call a doctor, okay? Just don't give up, doll," man stood up and ran in the hallway calling for a doctor.
Soon with a nurse he returned and made brunet wait outside the room. Bucky was on the edge and frantically tried to call Steve.
"Yeah," blond picked up.
"Alice is waking up!" man shouted.
Tears from joy swelled up in his eyes and brunet couldn't calmly sit in one place anymore.
"Oh my God! I'll call Tony and I'm on my way!" Captain shouted as well and Bucky heard a thud in the background, and Steve grumbling something before he hung up.
~~~
Alice's eyes fluttered open and she closed them again because of blinding light in the room.
"Miss Scott, do you hear me?" doctor asked and checked her vital rates.
"Wha-" she started to say but that turned in a fit of coughing.
"It's okay. You're awake now. Here's water," doctor said and nurse gave her a glass of water with a straw.
Doctor helped girl to sit up and she drank it. The light wasn't so blinding anymore and Alice took a look around the hospital room.
"Who are you?" girl quietly asked.
"I'm doctor Richwood. Do you know where are you?" doctor raised one eyebrow.
"No," she shook her head.
"Your in New York. Maybe you know what year it is, Miss Scott?"
"Who is Miss Scott?" Alice started to panic now.
She didn't know where is she. She didn't know what year it was. And the most important - she didn't know who she is.
"You're Alice Jessica Scott. You're in New York, in Bellevue Hospital Center. Just calm down, Miss Scott. We're here to help you," doctor calmly talked to her altough inside he was desperate - he didn't know how to tell this to the Avengers.
"I don't know anything," Alice sobbed, her face buried in her hands.
"We will do run some tests, okay?" Richwood said in a calming voice and terrified looked over at the nurse.

---------A/N---------

So, do you like long or not so long chapters?
Thank you for reading and voting. It really means a lot to me. If you have any suggestions or something, write them in comments or PM me.
~Undi❤