Chapter Two: Ahsoka's Briefing

Ahsoka

A few hours later, Ahsoka pulled her Jedi starfighter out of lightspeed above Coruscant. Dropping her the ring that her hyperdrive and main engines were attached to at one of the terminals orbiting the planet, she hit the accelerator and shot into the atmosphere.

"Bring us in for a landing, R7," she said to her Astromec. The droid beeped a reply, smoothly landing the fighter while Ahsoka unstrapped her seatbelt. As the small ship landed, Ahsoka lifted the canopy and hopped out of her seat.

"Stay with the ship," she said to R7, throwing on a Jedi cloak she had with her.

Ahsoka hurried through the Jedi Temple, occasionally saying a quick hello or waving to someone she knew, but she didn't stop. She had done some serious thinking while she was in hyperspace, and now wondered if the news about Lux Bonteri had something to do with her being called back to Coruscant.

She couldn't wait to find out.

She got into the elevator and hit the button for the top floor, which would bring her directly to the Council Chamber. As it climbed slowly to the top, Ahsoka's impatience grew. She began tapping her foot, bouncing up and down.

Finally, the doors slid open. Taking a moment to calm herself, Ahsoka walked into the Chamber, looking at the faces of the Jedi Master before her. They wore stern and serious expressions, as always, but at least Master Kenobi smiled in her direction when he caught sight of her.

"Padawan Tano," said Mace Windu in greeting.

She bowed low. "You summoned me, Masters?"

"Yes, Padawan," said Master Yoda, one of his green ears twitching. "A mission for you, we have. Of the utmost importance, it is."

"What kind of mission? Master Skywalker wasn't very specific."

Obi-Wan spoke next. "We didn't tell him enough for him to be specific. But... Have you heard about what happened to Senator Bonteri?"

She mentally applauded herself for guessing why the Council had sent for her – guesses like these were only very rarely right – but kept her face composed. "Not very much," she replied honestly. "I only know that he was injured."

Master Windu put the tips of his fingers together. "That he was, Padawan. A bounty hunter ambushed him and a group of his co-workers this morning on their way to an assembly. He appears to have been the only target."

The marks on Ahsoka's forehead that served as eyebrows furrowed. "What became of this bounty hunter? They must be the key to learning who's behind this."

"They escaped shortly after wounding the Senator. They had a speeder waiting for them," Windu replied.

"We believe that Count Dooku or his some of his affiliates might be behind this," Obi-Wan added, "but it could also have been one of his political enemies. We aren't certain of anything yet."

"Your mission, to protect the Senator, it is. Going to Naboo, Lux Bonteri is, to speak with Senator Amidala and Queen Neeyutnee. To open trade routes between Onderon and Naboo, his hope and objective is."

"This arrangement will greatly benefit the Republic, as well as both systems," Ki-Adi-Mundi added.

"But... I'm sorry, Masters, I'm a little confused," Ahsoka said. "I understood that Senator Bonteri had been gravely injured. Like, he wouldn't be able to go anywhere, or do anything."

"That was our doing," Obi-Wan said. "The Senator was shot in the shoulder, and the injury wasn't as serious as it looked. We pulled some strings with the news agencies to make it seem like he had been shot near the heart, and needed to undergo surgery. After that, they took off like wildfire."

"If the public believes that the Senator is unable to participate in the negotiations with the Queen, then, in theory, so will Separatist spies, if there are any." Mace Windu looked at the faces of his fellow Council members. "This way, Senator Bonteri and the Nubian Royal Council can talk without interruption."

"But if you've already taken measures such as these, Masters, why do you need me?" Ahsoka asked.

"This plan isn't foolproof, and we believe that a Jedi's presence will better ensure his safety." A light smile suddenly came to Windu's lips. "And besides, when we suggested a Jedi bodyguard, he requested you personally. After what he's been through, we were happy to oblige."

The Padawan standing before them looked to the floor, hoping that she wasn't blushing. Lux actually asked for me? Why?

"Now," Master Windu continued, "if you have no further questions, Padawan, then you had best be on your way. I understand that the Senator is just finishing up his packing for the trip."

"No, Masters, I understand. Thank you." She bowed hastily, hoping to disguise her burning cheeks.

Yoda smiled his particular smile. "Then with you, may the Force be."

*Hello all... I posted this out of guilt, because I know that I might not be able to update stuff much until the weekend... I had this one ready yesterday, and I have another chapter almost ready, but I don't have the time to finish it right now. 

You're gonna have to wait. Sorry. 

I'll do what I can, however, and update as regularly as I can. 

Curse you, school... this is all your fault. You've completely disrupted my updates schedule.

Bye.