Chapter Thirty-One: One Last Meeting

Anakin

It was another four days before Lux had been deemed well enough by his doctors to go back to Varykino, and Anakin was glad for it when they did. Maybe now he would finally be able to get a word in with his Padawan. For the past two weeks, Ahsoka had always either been with the young Senator or talking about him so much so that Anakin hadn't been able to get a word in.

But the fact that Ahsoka's attention had been somewhere else had also allowed him to spend more time with Padme, so he couldn't complain. Much.

Despite the fact that they were on the same planet together, his wife still didn't have much time to spend with him. The sudden attack to Lux's life and all the administrative details that had to be seen to because of it had lessened that time even more. But it was still far better than the usual amount of distance separating them, which was sometimes half the galaxy.

Anakin brushed a kiss against Padme's forehead, his arms tightening around her sleeping form. She had curled up in his arms half an hour before and fallen asleep, and he was in no hurry to wake her.

He brushed a hand over her chestnut curls, flattening a lock of hair that had come out of her elaborate coil of braids – which he put her hair in this morning – while sleeping. She was so beautiful, and, in the tender embrace of sleep, her features had relaxed into the picture of serenity.

Anakin kissed her forehead again, pulling her close. He loved her so much...

Suddenly, his comm rang. Careful not to wake his sleeping wife, Anakin reached across the bed to where it lay nestled between the sheets. There was a message from Captain Rex waiting for him.

Senator Bonteri just released from hospital, it read. On his way to meet with the Queen. Commander Tano is with him. Coming back to Varykino at 1600 hours.

Anakin sent back a quick reply acknowledging and approving it. Suddenly, Padme stirred in his arms, and Anakin winced. He slept like the dead, which Ahsoka was so fond of reminding him, but Padme was a light sleeper. The beeping of the comm must have woken her.

"Good morning, beautiful," he whispered, kissing the crown of her head.

"It's not morning, is it?" Padme sat bolt upright. "How long was I asleep?"

"Hush. I just meant it as an expression. It's only 1400 hours," Anakin said, pulling her back into his arms again. "You're fine. I would have woken you up if you had slept more than an hour."

Padme tiled her head back, giving him an upside-down smile. "We all know that's a lie, Ani," she said.

Anakin smiled. "Fine, two hours."

Padme rolled over to face him. "Is there any news about Lux?"

"He's going for an audience with the Queen to brush up on a last couple of details as far as I know," Anakin said, brushing his fingers along her cheek. "But don't worry, I don't think you need to be there–"

"Goddess, yes I do!" Padme fairly flew out of his arms, pausing only a moment in front of the mirror to put on her shoes and readjust her hair. "I have to go!"

"I'll come with you. Everyone already knows I'm here on Naboo – there's no point in hiding it."

"No, it's fine. You get some rest. I'll comm you when it's over," Padme called as she ran out the door. "I love you!"

As the door closed behind her, Anakin chuckled. "Love you too," he whispered to the empty air.

Ahsoka

Ahsoka blinked and stood up a little taller as the voices of the Queen and her administrators came back into focus. She wondered how much she had missed.

All of her attention had been focused on Lux. She had let herself be pulled deeper and deeper in until his words had all blended together and the only thing she had been conscious of was the sound of his voice.

It must be the medication, Ahsoka told herself, but even so, she wasn't entirely sure she believed it.

"Despite the terrible ordeal you have gone through, we are grateful you remained constant in your decision to be our partner in commerce," Queen Neeyutnee was saying. "This alliance will be a great step forward for our two peoples."

Lux nodded. "As it will for the Republic."

"Indeed. I assume that you and your Jedi protectors will be en route to Coruscant shortly?"

"Yes, at the Chancellor's insistence. Dooku has a personal vendetta against me, making me the likelier target for a blow against this alliance. I regret being unable to oversee our labors come to fruition, but until there remains the possibility that he will try to act again." Lux smiled. "So I will leave the matter in your most capable hands."

Neeyutnee inclined her head. "Then I bid you farewell, Senator, until you are able to return. Again, I must give you my deepest apologies for what befell you here the night of the ball."

"Don't concern yourself with it. Master Skywalker and Master Kenobi have confirmed that Dooku's ship has left the system. I'm sure it's all in the past now." Lux bowed low, then rose fluidly to his feet. "Farewell, Your Majesty, Senator Amidala."

Lux turned to look at her, and as soon as his green eyes met hers, Ahsoka felt her face heat up. She readjusted her long Jedi cloak around her, and, together, they left the Queen's throne room and walked on down the hallway.

"Well, back to Coruscant we go," said Ahsoka, stretching her arms above her head for a moment. "I got a comm from Anakin – he said the ship that's taking us there will be here in a few hours."

"It'll be a shame to leave Naboo... I've come to like it here. Everything is green and beautiful – the fires of industry haven't claimed it like they've claimed some parts of Onderon. Not to mention I got to spend so much time here with you."

Ahsoka chuckled. "You're not such bad company yourself, Senator."

Lux's hand found hers beneath the long sleeve of her cloak, and she grinned widely, gripping it tightly within her own.

Suddenly a familiar flash of blonde curls caught Ahsoka's eye, and she groaned internally. Annina rounded the corner, and a moment later, Lux's hand was torn away from hers as she pulled him into a hug.

"Thank the Goddess you're all right," she cooed, and Ahsoka rolled her eyes. It could just have been her dislike of the girl showing through, but Ahsoka thought there was something over-the-top and fake about the whole display. "What they said you went through at the ball is absolutely terrible... You're on the mend, right?"

Lux looked like he had even less idea what to do with an armful of Annina than Ahsoka did. "Uh... yeah. Yes, I am."

"Oh, I'm so glad! If it's not too much trouble, I still really need your help for that project," Annina said, and Ahsoka's lips curled back when she realized the blonde woman was leading him away. "The deadline is coming up in a few days, and I'm still missing a couple of things. You were telling me about your interest in–"

"Annina," Lux said, shaking her grip off of him, "I'm sorry, but I'm trying to have a conversation with Ahsoka right now. If you would please excuse us..."

Lux took Ahsoka's arm again and walked on down the hallway, leaving Annina behind. Ahsoka smirked, and had to resist the urge to look back and stick out her tongue.

Serves you right for trying to steal my guy.

*SCORE ONE FOR SNIPS!!! YAY FOR LUXSOKA AND ANIDALA FLUFF AND DOWN WITH THE EVIL ANTISHIP

Anyways, here's to not being able to find a good piece of art of someone with blonde ringlets. So I just found a good digital art with hair that was semi-curly-ish and was done with it. LAZY HUMAN MODE ACTIVATED

Anyways, hope you guys all liked the chapter, and you can expect a new one later today. Seriously, I am on FIRE with these updates!! I have literally two or three left to write (it depends on how long this one thing ends up being) and I honestly think I'll be finished the book by tomorrow, or the day after at the latest. It's GREAT, I'm finally getting fanfics done!

Christmas break, this is why I love you.

See you all in the next update!

Byeeee ;D