Chapter Twenty-Two: Departure And Arrival

*Above is Annina's dress. It was the most Star-Wars-y one I could find in the color I wanted XD*

Ahsoka

Anakin had done a better job than Ahsoka had expected – he had a steady hand for all the finer details such as eyeliner and lipstick, and had applied contour around her facial markings to sharpen them like a professional. As he finished covering her lekku with a powder that shimmered gently in the light, he sat back, taking a look at his handiwork.

It was really quite interesting to see her Master so interested in things that were the polar opposites of what people knew he was into – mechanics and mascara weren't so closely aligned as that. And on top of that, she was pretty sure he could braid hair. Padme had walked into his room with her hair loose and walked out with it in an elaborately braided up-do that she simply couldn't have done on herself.

Anakin Skywalker really was full of surprises.

When she was dressed and just about to leave, Anakin spoke again. "I'll be keeping watch," he told her.

"How?"

"I have my ways." He smiled. "Now go on. The others are waiting for you."

"Okay." She pulled him into a quick hug, then hurried out the door, adjusting her headdress as she went.

She arrived just as everyone else was boarding the two speeders that would take them to the palace. Much to her dismay, the one Lux was taking was already full, and she couldn't suppress a pang of jealousy when she saw him help Annina, clad in a stunning dress the color of the Nabooian sunset that made Ahsoka feel very underdressed indeed in her simple blue gown, inside.

Ahsoka shook her head exasperatedly at her needlessly silly reaction. But, not about to let what she was feeling get to her, she simply climbed into the other speeder, occupied by Sola and her daughters. Darred was away on business and couldn't make it.

A slight jolt ran through the speeder as it started moving, however Ahsoka could sense it plainly thanks to her lekku and montrals. Sola opened up a holo on her wrist comm and began to read, and, just as Ahsoka was wondering if she should have brought something to pass the time as well, Ryoo, who was sitting next to her, shuffled a little closer so that she would still be heard even if she lowered her voice.

"So what's the plan?" she asked, speaking hardly above a whisper.

"Plan? What plan?" Ahsoka inquired in return, confused. "There's no plan. What are you talking about?"

Ryoo rolled her eyes as if the answer should have been obvious. "I mean what's your strategy for getting Annina out of the way?"

"I don't have one," Ahsoka admitted honestly. Her objective was to ensure that everything went smoothly at the ball while Anakin kept an eye on things from afar – and she was quite sure Lux wouldn't want her company. Glamorous socialites and important politicians would be surrounding him, all vying for his attention. It was probably best just to stay out of the way completely.

Although... she couldn't deny that the happy little daydream of him asking her to dance made her heart speed up a little. She could just imagine them, swirling and spinning across the floor... but she stifled the thought with the knowledge that it wasn't going to happen.

Pooja stuck her head into the gap between the two seats in front of her, turning to look at her sister and then at Ahsoka as well as she was able considering her position. "So you're just gonna give him up to her? Really? I mean, come on, anyone can see you like him!"

"Who? Lux?" Ahsoka shook her head no, even though she was doing the exact opposite in her head. "No. I was being naïve. I saw things differently than the way I knew they had to be. My head is clearer now."

Lies, lies, all lies, her conscience sang. Just saying things like that doesn't make them true. Your judgment is still as clouded as Dagobah during a rainstorm.

Pooja slumped back down in her seat, making a quiet noise of disapproval. "You're no fun," she pouted.

Ahsoka was quiet for a long moment, reflecting on the conversation she had just taken part in. She had strong feeling for Lux – that was beyond questioning – but these past few days she also hadn't been completely herself. When confronted by the concept of Lux Bonteri, half of her wanted to swoon like a hopeless romantic, and the other wanted to kick herself for indulging in emotions that were so utterly against the Jedi Code.

Suddenly, the speeder came to a halt. Ahsoka's lekku picked up on faint strains of music from some distant orchestra accompanied by singers, and the whole ensemble sounded so stately and elegant that there was not a doubt in her mind that they had arrived.

But it just so happened that, as Ahsoka was the closest one to the door, she was to disembark first. Biting back an unexpected twinge of nervousness, she hit the button to open the door. Then, taking the hand of the driver who had come back around to help them exit, she stepped outside.

*And so the ball begins... I guess what will happen now is all up to fate. Ahsoka is still trying to figure out what her emotions really mean; tied between the Jedi ways she's been following all her life and the feelings she has for a certain Onderonian Senator. 

Anyways, hope you all liked the double update!! Next on the list is UAAT and LtLB, and a few more updates for this as well. We're getting close to the end of the book, sadly... But, rest assured, I have a very interesting ending planned... with a few fluffy Luxsoka moments along the way, of course. 

I'll see about getting something else updated tonight before the hours I need for homework and studying start piling up too much...

Bye!! :D