Smoke and Mirrors

I tiptoed towards the end of the corridor my phone illuminating the darkness that didn't even begin to fade, infact it didn't even look as though it was shadow, but smoke or fog instead.

I reached the blackness and realised I was right it was a huge pile of smoke, black thick smoke covering the stairwell. I was confused I certainly couldn't smell smoke or fire, it fact if this was a fire I would be slowly dying by now. However I was perfectly fine.

I stuck out my hand and watched as it was enveloped in the cool mist and my visibility of it completely disappeared. I brought my arm back and flexed my fingers and wrist, it was such a strange situation.

I breathed deeply, gripped my phone, took once last look back at my door before surrounding myself in the smog.

I looked around and spotted a faint outline of the stairs hidden in the shadow. I shivered as some how this smoke had made this part of the house unbareably cool. I let out a sigh and sure enough a white mist drifted from mouth. "Great, next time  I decided to explore some random and strange black mist at the end of my hallway remind me to actually bring a coat" I whispered aloud to myself, as I wrapped my jacket around my arms, pulling it closer to my body.

I stumbled down the stairs, tripping up a few time before finally reaching the hallyway and front door or atleast I hoped it was, as since I couldn't see much. I could have been anywhere.

I shone the light around and tried to make out what was what, in the end I only managed to distinguish what was the lounge by walking into the couch and almost smaking my head on the fireplace.

I searched the walls, running my hand along to cool surface before finding something alot like a switch, sadly like ealier upstairs the lights failed. I sighed and made my way to the kitchen, almost tripping on the rug under the table and stumbling in the worktop. "Crap that hurt" I shouted, shaking my hand I had hit on the counter-top.

Suddenly a growl replied from behind me.

I quickly turned to see nothing behind me, not that I could if I really tried. I backed up, trying to retreat from the noise when something brushed against my legs, and a flash of bright grey shone to the right of me.

What ever it was it was either extremely fast or had reinforcements.

_________________________

I backed up against the counter making sure I couldn't be struck from behind, another growl sounded before my legs where knocked out from under me. I closed my eyes as pain shot through me, I mean the kitchen floor was unforgivingly hard. "Bring it on" I shouted out before spotting three lots of grey amongst the smog.

The growl lowered deeply before turning into a low threatening howl and I soon began to wish I wasn't a cocky bastard. I closed my eyes and prepared for my death, however none came.

By the time I opened my eyes the smoke had vanished, the grey blobs had turned into one set of beautiful sparkling bright eyes of a huge dog, who apart from a band of silver on it's leg was pitch black.

The dog was striking, it seemed to have an earthly glow outlining it, it's movements mesmerising as its tail flicked from side to side and it ears pricked up. I watched as it stepped slowly towards me approaching so delicately as if it was weightless. It sashayed it's low slunken body over to me.
It approached my face and its eyes glowed a light purple as opposed to the light grey I had witnessed earlier. It pushed against me asking for my to hold it's nose in my palm, so I held my hands out.

It planted it's head in my hands, its fur incredible soft to the feel, my fingers sunk in and it sighed peacefully as if I had helped it relax. I watched as it closed it's eye's slowly and the bands on its leg started to glow.

Immediately thoughts and memories of the last few years and the supernaturals we had discovered came to the front of my mind and the more I thought, the more the dogs aura glowed. All at once my memories faded and I noticed the dogs eyes where open and blue, the brightest I had ever seen.

It backed away and led opposite me, raising its nose to the sky, it sniffed and I watched as it suddenly drifted away into thin air.

"What the Actual hell" I whispered aloud, trying to recap what had happened.