The Pawn | Chapter Fourteen [Ecophobia]

This book is now available on amazon.com as an ebook

[Chapter Fourteen]

------------------------------------

Ecophobia – fear of home

------------------------------------

"So...seems you've been quite busy since we last saw you," one of my teammates teased me. I hid a blush and simply gave them a sassy smile. It had been quite a while since I'd last seen them and I hadn't realized how much I'd missed them until now. They were my real family and I would do anything for them.

"Who exactly was that hottie you were making out with?" one of the girls asked slyly.

I grinned and sent her a conspiratal wink, "Oh...just one of the agents here."

Ethan scoffed and decided to ruin my moment by adding in, "Yah, just the one agent that has a personal vendetta with Ainsley's sister, Lisa. Lisa scarred him the last time she was here."

My team gave appropriate reactions, but I just brushed them off, not wanting to get into the details. After going around and greeting everyone I sat down against the bars and waited. I knew Jay would be back eventually, but who knew how long that would take? Faux liked to make people squirm and if he had his way, we'd be here for quite a few more hours.

"Hey Ainsley?" Josie said a little while later. I looked up and realized that everyone else had moved together to have a little meeting.

"What's up?" I asked, wondering if they were just talking or if they had a plan.

She smiled and motioned for me to join the group. Ethan was whispering to everyone, but when he saw me he stopped and gave me a grim smile. "Hey Ainsley, we were just going over information and trying to think of different plans."

"Plans for what?" I asked warily, knowing that this wasn't going to be good information.

Ethan looked uncomfortable before he cleared his throat. "Erm...well whilst you've been here, the rest of us have worked on tracking Lisa's patterns. We've mapped out her past locations, along with period of time spent there and type of location. Putting it in a generator system we came up with about five to ten places she'll likely stay at in the near future." He paused to look at the team. Another member took up the reins and started talking.

"We decided to risk it and placed small cameras and alarm systems in each of the locations hoping that she would stay in one of them. Our systems were the discreet kind that would only be disabled if she had a technology scrambler. We figured that wouldn't be a problem for us because she would have to scramble her technology too."

"Luckily," Josie said, taking over the conversation, "We had hits at three locations. She didn't stay long enough at the first one for us to get any information, and the other two were just as useless. However, we know the area she is frequenting and right now we have some of our guys narrowing down the areas she could be in at the moment. We're hoping it's one of the places we're watching, but you never know."

I processed what they were telling me, proud and honored that my team had continued in our efforts of finding Lisa, even though it was only my burden to bear. However, I felt like they weren't telling me everything.

"What aren't you telling me, Ethan?" I demanded with narrowed eyes. He held my gaze for a few moments before sighing deeply with a roll of his eyes. "I don't know why I even bother," he muttered.

Josie placed her hand on his shoulder and sent me a sympathetic look. "We've reason to believe that the next time Lisa finds you, she'll kill you."