The Pawn | Chapter Eleven [Paralipophobia]

This book is now available on amazon.com as an ebook

[Chapter Eleven]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paralipophobia- Fear of neglecting duty or responsibility

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands! If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands! If you're happy and you know it, then your face will surely show it. If—"

"—you keep singing that song I will punch you so hard in the face," I snarled into the pillow, wishing Dash would go jump off a cliff.

"...Clap your hands," I heard Jaz add dryly.

I muffled a chuckle and buried my head further into my pillow, hoping that this was all a dream. Dash was not waking me up with an annoying children's song and I did not have to get out of bed just yet.

"Wake up Sleeping Beauty, this isn't a dream," Dash cooed. I groaned and reached out to throw an extra pillow at him, grinning when I heard him grunt. "That's no way to thank me for waking you up in time for your meeting with the boss man," he said in a hurt tone.

Oh shit. I jolted up to a sitting position, clutching my head when I became too dizzy, and looked to Jaz for confirmation. She nodded remorsefully and I cursed out loud, throwing off my covers.

"What time is it?" I muttered angrily, stumbling over to my closet to throw on some clothes. I didn't care that Dash could see me changing. I was more worried about making it to my meeting with Faux on time.

"You have about five minutes to get there," Dash supplied with a laugh. I shot him a glare and pulled on a pair of jeans, hopping on one foot and crashing into the wall. The fact that I was still below 100% and dizzy wasn't helping out much. Jaz threw me a bra and a shirt and I slipped them on just as fast, rushing to the bathroom to brush my teeth and hair. Hopefully Faux would just think I looked like shit because I was still recovering. Hopefully.

I had been released from the hospital a few days earlier with a warning to take it easy. I was mildly surprised when they wheeled me down the hallways of the hospital and instead of exiting outside we entered another hallway where a tram-like vehicle was waiting. After maneuvering my wheelchair up a ramp and onto the vehicle it took off through the dimly lit hallways.

The hospital techs must have seen the confused look on my face because they had grinned and explained that the hospital was attached to NANO headquarters. We were just traveling the tunnels in between the two buildings. Naturally. It made sense to me once they explained it. NANO wouldn't want to explain the whole ordeal to a public hospital, nor would they want to draw attention to the fact that they were a secret government sector. Having a personal hospital on site was much easier. I'm just surprised no one bothered to tell me about it. I was surprised I didn't know about it from the research I had done on NANO. That worried me the most. What other secrets did NANO have?

Somewhere along the journey I 'fell asleep'. I'm pretty sure the pain meds the techs gave me had some sleep inducement quality in them. When I got back to NANO headquarters I woke up in my room and I was informed that I had a meeting with Faux on Friday in the morning to discuss my status. Whatever that meant. Status could refer to my health, my rooming situation, the power I was allotted, and information, etc. Basically, I was being kept in the dark, per usual.