The Pawn | Chapter Three [Scotomaphobia]

[Chapter Three]

---------------------------------------------------

Scotomaphobia - Fear of blindness

---------------------------------------------------

Telling Jay that I had a matching scar wasn't the smartest idea.

At first he thought I was messing with him because he couldn't see the scar. Then he demanded that I prove I actually had the scar. Right after that he demanded a story as to why I had a scar in the first place.

I glared at him defensively and crossed my arms over my chest. "I'm not going to show you my scar unless you want me to take my shirt off," I said coldly. "Why can't you just believe that I have one and leave it at that?"

"I want to see your scar," he demanded like a petulant child ignoring my shirtless comment. Huffing in irritation, I grabbed the hem of my shirt and started pulling it over my head. "What are you doing?" he choked out. "Stop it, put your shirt back on. Damn it, Ainsley," he grated out when I pulled my shirt all the way off. I resisted the urge to shiver when he said my name, realizing he hardly ever said it-and I liked it. I glared at him and then turned around so that he could see my back.

There was utter silence.

I felt myself turning red as a blush spread over my whole body. He was staring at me and I was uncomfortable. There was something vulnerable about being unclothed. Granted, it was only my shirt, but nonetheless, I was feeling awkward and insecure.

"Why do you have two hearts?" he finally asked me in a low voice. I pulled my shirt back on and turned to face him. Jay was a lot closer than I expected him to be. I took a nervous step back and crossed my arms over my stomach.

"That's not important," I muttered.

"Then why did you show me the scar?" he demanded.

I couldn't tell him the real answer. That I wanted him to know that he wasn't the only one affected by Lisa and her screwed up mind. That he wasn't alone in this. God, I sounded like a pathetic idiot. If I could hit myself over the head with a pan I would. So, instead of sounding like a fool, I shrugged casually and said, "I just wanted you to see that despite being my sister, Lisa has found ways to torture me. She may not care about me, but, even if I could, I am not going to stoop to her level and sell her out."

Jay's eyes narrowed and he took a step closer to me. "Is this your way of saying you won't tell me anything about Lisa?"

"In a way, yes," I answered. "The thing is I don't have any information to tell you. She hates me and keeps me in the dark about everything. I know nothing!" I growled.

"I refuse to believe that," Jay said arrogantly. "She's your sister. She can't hate you that much."

Growling, I clenched my fists, wanting nothing more than to punch something, preferably Jay. "Lisa used to care about me as I did her. After she scarred me though, things changed. She changed and I wanted nothing to do with her. That's all you need to know."

"God damn it, why won't you just tell me? How am I supposed to understand anything if you won't explain yourself?" he asked harshly.

"Because, I-arg!" I growled. "It's none of your damn business."

He shifted on his feet and glared at me. "It is if it'll help us understand why Lisa is attacking NANO. It may even help us prevent her from attacking again."

Frozen in surprise I stared at him. "You mean...you don't know why she's been attacking NANO?"

"You do?" he responded sharply.