The Pawn | Chapter Fifteen [Hoplophobia]

This book is now available on amazon.com as an ebook

[Chapter Fifteen]

--------------------------------------

Hoplophobia – fear of guns

--------------------------------------

Walking into the meeting room where Faux and other NANO Directors were was not as daunting as I thought it would be. In fact, I really just wanted to get the whole thing over with. I was not here to sit and listen whilst frumpy old men argued incessantly over what to do. If that happened, I was going to snap.

"Ah Agent Storm," Faux said in a surprised tone, as if he hadn't been expecting us, "and...Miss Hartford," he added in a slightly less kind tone. Yah, nice to see you too, assface. He motioned for us to sit down, and introduced the other Directors present. Like that really mattered to me. The Directors greeted us back with half grunts and smiles. Lovely.

"Now that we're all here, let's get started," Faux said meaningfully, glancing at Jay and I. Don't react, Ainsley, don't react. "We're here to discuss the criminals who recently broke into our headquarters and to address the issue of Lisa Hartford, and the threat she presents to us...and her sister."

Listening to Faux ramble on about NANO's problems really irked me. He was almost blaming me for Lisa's recent attack on NANO. Like it was my fault that Lisa had decided to target NANO again. Regardless of where I was located, she would have hit NANO.

For another hour, Faux rambled on in Politian-styled sentences whilst Jay and I sat there, bored to tears. Nothing was getting resolved, and just like I suspected, all the fat, old Directors were arguing over meaningless rules and regulations, solving nothing.

"They are not to be trusted!" one Director shouted angrily, referring to my team. "I don't care if they claim to be against Lisa Hartford, they broke into our headquarters and attacked our people."

"That's a lie," I stated icily, not thinking before I spoke. When all head whipped in my direction, I felt the blood rush to my cheeks, but I cleared my throat and said quietly. "They didn't attack anyone. They were only here to try and break me out. They're my friends and they are trying to stop Lisa, even though I've begged them not to get involved." I saw Jay giving me a frantic look, no doubt sending mind messages telling me to shut the hell up, but I couldn't. Not now. Faux was also glaring at me, but mostly in appalled anger. "It would be in your best interest to let my team help NANO in capturing Lisa. With their—our—help, we can finally stop Lisa once and for all."

I cleared my throat again, and looked at Jay for support. He had a grim look on his face, but he nodded quickly, letting me know he had my back. "This is preposterous!" Faux spat out angrily. "We've been trying to get information from you this entire time to no avail but now you expect us to believe that you and your team want to help? Pardon me if I don't take you at your word, young lady."

"Even though she is evil and has done many bad things, Lisa is still my sister at the end of the day," I seethed. "So pardon me if I don't just hand her over to you, you selfish man."

The Directors all had equal looks of shock on their faces, as if they were appalled I had dared to speak like that. Honestly, at this point I didn't care anymore. We were all going to die if we sat here and argued all day.

"Look, I don't care if you don't trust me or think my team is scum, the reality is that Lisa is on her way here to blow NANO to bits. If you want even a small chance of preventing it and beating her, you'll have to deal with my team, on our conditions. I'm not saying this because I want to make you suffer, I'm saying it because we know her the best and we've been tracking her for ages now. You need us, or we're all going to die. Think about that whilst you continue your petty arguments." With that said, I stood up, glaring at Faux and stormed out the door, figuring Jay would have to follow me. Sure enough a few minutes later he caught up with me.