The Pawn | Chapter Eight [Mastigophobia]

This book is now available on amazon.com as an ebook

[Chapter Eight]

-----------------------------------------------------

Mastigophobia- Fear of punishment.

-----------------------------------------------------

When I finally came to I nearly had a heart attack as I realized that Lisa had indeed kidnapped me and thrown me into a cage, like I was an animal to be poked through the bars. Was it safe for me to be knocked out again? Maybe safe wasn't the right word, but it couldn't be good for my brain cells to fade in and out of consciousness so often. I mean, it couldn't be good for my brain, that I constantly lost consciousness.

My heart rate sped up as claustrophobia started to set in. I tried to control my breathing and think happy thoughts, but the only memories flashing through my mind were the ones I had long ago suppressed. It had been over five months since I had last seen Lisa; since she had last tortured me. Yet here I was, trapped and at her will. I could only imagine what torment she had cooked up for me. Anything was game.

Another hour or so passed—honestly it could have been 3 hours or 20 minutes, my concept of time was warped—before I saw or heard anyone. A metal door I hadn't known existed creaked open, spilling an increasingly growing beam of light into the dank area. The sound of the door opening was eerie and sent chills down my spine, as if moaning to me the pain that was going to come.

"Hello little sister," Lisa's voice whispered through the room. Like Pavlov's dogs, I immediately reacted to her voice, tensing my muscles as hot and cold flashes coursed over my skin. She chuckled softly and pushed the door open wider, letting even more light into the dimly lit room. I glared at her, refusing to say anything, because I knew if I opened my mouth, my voice would betray my fear.

"How are you? It's been such a long time since we've...talked," she cooed teasingly, knowing what she did to me. Three other people entered behind her, blocking the bright light from entering the room. I watched as one leaned over to flip the switch, turning on the fluorescent lights above.

We were clearly in some sort of warehouse—undoubtedly abandoned and in the middle of nowhere, or hidden in plain sight. Two of the three people who were with Lisa I immediately recognized as her right hand men: the techy and the weapons and supplies guy. I grinned cheekily at them and said snarkily. "Which one of you tried to hack into NANO's system?"

The shorter and stockier Hispanic guy scowled at me. "You just got lucky," he said gruffly. The other guy just looked bored as he watched Lisa, waiting for her instructions.

Her eyes flashed dark for a second before she shot a winning smile my way. "You two can have all the time you want later to talk about techy things. Right now, we have more important business to attend to. Rachel, if you'll come forward?" she motioned to the third person that had entered the room, a tall, willowy girl I instantly recognized.

"Rachel Kaffel?" I said in disbelief. I had gone to high school with her for a number of years, and while we certainly hadn't been best friends we hadn't been enemies either. Which is why I was surprised when she gave me a dirty look that promised retribution.

"Ah, I see you remember her," Lisa grinned softly. "She is here to help me test out a new...procedure."

"Rachel, I don't understand..." I said slowly, stepping closer to the bars at the front of my cage. "Why are you here? Why are you looking at me like that?"

She sneered at me hatefully, narrowing her eyes. "I hate you, you little bitch. You ruined my life, how can you not remember?" I opened my mouth to tell her that I had no idea what she was talking about, but she continued on. "Remember Avery Wilson? My boyfriend? Yah, well he stopped paying attention to me once you arrived. I didn't really think anything of it until I saw you flirt back with him, daily. He never made a move because you suddenly disappeared, but after that he broke up with me, saying he wished I were more like you. Suddenly, no one else wanted to date me," Rachel broke off with an angry huff and clenched her fists. "We were going to get married and move to L.A. together, but you had to go and ruin it all for me. Well, I'm here now and I'm going to make your life a living hell."